Tuesday, 8 November 2011

Brussels Sprouts & Jerusalem Artichokes

Finally! We got some more-or-less edible Brussels sprouts from the garden. Gosh, they are hard to grow. Ours are very loose and also, er, highly organic or is the phrase high in protein? At any rate I gave them a good soak in very salty cold water before I cooked them. Now if we can just figure out how to get them to form denser heads next time.

I hoped this combo would be good and I have to say, it really was. I'll be making this again, for sure.

30 minutes - 20 minutes prep time

Brussels Sprouts, Jerusalem Artichokes and Shallots
Prepare the Vegetables:
12 to 16 Brussels sprouts
8 to 10 Jerusalem artichokes
4 large shallots

Wash and trim the Brussels sprouts, and cut an "x" in the bottom of each if they are large. Peel the Jerusalem artichokes, and slice them in fairly large slices. Put them in a dish of cold water as you go. Peel the shallots, and cut them in halves or quarters lengthwise.

Finish the Dish:
1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil
1 or 2 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium is fine
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the Brussels sprouts, with a few tablespoons of water, and cook over medium heat until they turn a bright green and the water evaporates. Add the shallots and the Jerusalem artichokes, and continue cooking until the shallots are browned in spots and look cooked through. Season with the soy sauce and sesame oil, and as soon as they seem to be absorbed by the vegetables, remove them to their serving dish.

Last year at this time I made Swiss Chard Rolls.


CallieK said...

My brussel sprouts are still in the ground and still tiny- thankfully the mild weather is still holding so I might eventually have something big enough to eat !

Tiffany Mayer said...

Normally, Brussels sprouts and me are like oil on water but this making my mouth water. I love Jerusalem artichokes and the sprouts have a gorgeous colour.

Ferdzy said...

CallieK, that's what I was hoping too. We got a dusting of snow last night so I think the odds are not good. Supposed to be a little milder next week. I hope so, I still have work to do out there.

Tiffany, Brussels sprouts are the best! And I was amazed how well they went with the Jerusalem artichokes. But I suppose you could try it with broccoli, instead.