Monday, 18 July 2011

Turnip Slaw

We're pulling some nice little turnips out of the garden at the moment. These are the Goldana, which I really, really like, although summer-grown ones aren't as good as fall-grown ones in my opinion. Still, they're not half bad and they make a nice slaw for the hot, hot weather we've been having lately. Quick and easy, no cooking required. Any mild white summer turnip will do the job.

4 to 6 servings
20 minutes prep time

Turnip Slaw
3 medium turnips
1 medium carrot
2 to 4 tablespoons finely minced cilantro, parsley or mint
the juice of 1 large lime
1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil
salt to taste (about 1/8 teaspoon)

Peel and grate the turnips and carrot. Salt them lightly, and set them aside.

Wash, dry and mince the cilantro, parsley or mint. Rinse the turnips and carrots, and drain well. Mix with the herb, lime juice, oil and a bit of salt.




Last year at this time I made Zucchini & Fresh Pea Soup and Pea "Hummous".

2 comments:

The Armchair Housewife said...

Ooh this sounds fantastic. I really like raw turnip, its so fresh and earhty tasting, so crisp and crunchy. I havent seen any listed in my CSA box anytime in the near future, btu I'll keep my eye open for some at the local farmers market. :) Oh and also wanted to say good luck on the book you're working on, hope that goes well and Im sure I'll be happy to buy a copy when you get it published!

Ferdzy said...

Thank you!