Saturday, 9 July 2011

Clotted Cream

Clotted cream with scones and jam is the foundation of the classic "Cream Tea" from the southwest of England; Cornwall and Devon to be precise. Now we can make it here.

It requires cream that has not been pasteurized at a high temperature. (It will be pasteurized; just at lower temperatures.) It requires REAL cream, which nowadays means it almost always MUST be organic. As far as I can see there is no major dairy left in Ontario that sells unadulterated whipping cream anymore. It all contains modified milk ingredients, gums and stabilizers - avoid that shit. The one exception even among smaller dairies is Hewitt's, who still produce real whipping cream and make a point of pasteurizing at lower temperatures. Alas, not available around here.

However, if you buy high quality whipping cream (35% butterfat or higher) and it is inclined to separate, you are good to go. I actually used goat whipping cream which came from River's Edge Goat Dairy. It clotted beautifully, and the goaty flavour gained a nuttiness as it cooked that was just amazing. However, you can use regular cow's milk whipping cream if you prefer. You can also use whatever quantity you like, as long as it's about an inch deep in your baking dish. Three cups just happened to be what I had.

Once you have acquired your cream - the hard part of this recipe - there is nothing much left to do but wait.

a generous cup
7 to 8 hours - plus chill time

Clotted Cream
3 cups non-homogenized organic whipping cream


Preheat the oven to 175°F. Let the cream sit out as it heats to warm up a little.

Pour the cream into a flat-bottomed, shallow glass or glazed ceramic baking dish. It should be about 1" deep. Put the cream in the oven and bake, if that's the right word, for 7 to 8 hours, until the cream has separated and there is a thick, yellow-flecked layer on top.

Let cool, then skim off the thickened cream on top. Keep both the thick, clotted cream and thinner leftover cream chilled until wanted. A wide-necked canning jar is a good container.

The thin cream is excellent for baking, and the thick cream is excellent for piling onto scones with jam. You could also serve it with fresh fruit or cake. Eating it straight out of the jar with a spoon is not recommended. It could lead to addiction.

Both creams should keep for about a week in the fridge. Keep well sealed.





Last year at this time I made Hodge-Podge.

5 comments:

The Armchair Housewife said...

Fantastic. I buy organic cows cream, but how can I tell if its been heated properly? Will it say on the carton/bottle or do I need to contact the company? Id love to make this!

The Armchair Housewife said...

Also, Ferdzy, I hope you dont mind I am linking to you under "local/seasonal blogs" on my page. I figure I dont have to ask permission to share your link, but if I do come over and holler at me. ;)

Ferdzy said...

Of course I am always very happy to be linked! Thank you.

As for the organic cream, it likely won't say on the carton. However, if you open it up and find that it's separating - that is the highest fat portion is rising to the top - you are good to go.

I've only bought one brand of organic cream and that's what it did; I would be a bit surprised if that didn't apply to other brands but I don't know for sure. Anyway, you can ask the company if you are not sure.

Jerry said...

Ferdzy, I’m not sure that the thick cream will last for a week in the fridge. No way, it will be gone by 3rd day.

Ferdzy said...

Well Jerry I have to admit: you are exactly right.