Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Garlic Scape Burgers

We are growing 8 different kinds of garlic in the garden this year, which is admittedly excessive. Almost all of them are now starting to send up scapes, so we are about to be inundated with them. The snow peas are a little more behind, although if we get the rain we are supposed to get over the next few days I have hopes that there will be a good flush of them ready after that. I just got enough.

I will be looking for as many ways to use up all those scapes as I can think of, even though I will be sure to freeze a bunch of them. Here's how I started:

6 to 8 burgers
20 minutes prep time

Garlic Scape Burgers
6 to 8 large garlic scapes
1 large egg
1/2 cup oatmeal
450 grams (1 pound) lean ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black peppercorns
2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika

Rinse the garlic scapes and cut them into large pieces. Put them in the bowl of a food processor, and process until fairly finely chopped. Break in the egg and add the remaining ingredients. Process until completely blended, but do not over-process.

Turn out the mixture and divide it into equal portions. Form the portions into patties.

Heat a lightly oiled skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the patties until well browned on each side, and the juices run clear or almost so. Let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.




Last year at this time I made Strawberry Cheesecake.

10 comments:

Dallas said...

Funny...I made meatballs with my scapes this week. Great minds think alike, eh?

Ferdzy said...

Ha, maybe... or did great minds look in the fridge and say, "Gotta use that ground beef TODAY... and I have all these scapes, too."?

Jerry said...

Ferdzy, you beat me to it! I was going to have scapes meal tomorrow! I will save the scapes from rare Irkutsk (bulbs bought at Stratford Garlic Festival 2010)for ice cream!

Phiddy said...

I too live in Ontario. But, for the life of me, I can't get garlic to grow. This was my second and possibly last year at trying. Ask me to grow anything else... but, not garlic.

Any suggestions you have personally tried? We love garlic and use so much of it and I want so badly to try scapes.

Ferdzy said...

Jerry, we were there too! That's where we got about 6 of our 8 varieties. Ice cream?! I don't know about that.

Phiddy, I would have said garlic should be easy to grow but given how much trouble we have had with shallots, lettuce and beans here I don't say things like that any more, lol. There are always things going on about the soil it's just impossible to know about.

Try this article. It has a lot of good advice:

http://www.seeds.ca/library/articles/2004_03_Dyer_Garlic.htm

In short, you need the right garlic, planted at the right time. Right time is late summer to early fall. They need to set roots before they overwinter, like daffodils. Garlic bought at a market that is grown locally is good, you don't need to buy specific seed garlic although you can. It just needs to be healthy and should be good full cloves, medium-large in size. They like lighter soil and don't compete well with weeds. (What does?) A few grains of bonemeal planted with each clove is a good thing. I just poke a hole the depth of my finger and drop in a clove. Don't peel the cloves, just break the head apart gently by hand! Pointy end up. Water in well and they *should* grow like weeds. Oh, full sun and good drainage. Hmm, if you have any other specific questions I'll try to answer them.

Meantime they should be selling garlic scapes at the local farmers market! They are generally not too expensive.

maslowka said...

I've grown garlic successfully for years, both in New Brunswick and Ontario. Don't rely on store-bought-China-grown crap. You can get good local to plant(altho my first seed garlic came from Salt Spring Seeds in BC) and as Ferdzy says, early fall. And keep it as weed-free as possible. Mulch helps. Looks like corn when it's first coming up :)
Last year I made a garlic scape pesto - yummy spread for sandwiches, on pizza or tossed with pasta, rice or mashed potaotes.

spencer said...

What varieties of Garlic are you growing Ferdzy?

Phiddy this is another site that has good garlic info

http://www.garlicfarm.ca/?cf03388EF2=8B41DD75!NDExMDAyMjI1OmNvcnByYWRpdXNzc286Jei5Z2c290cJJ3GDS1zSIQ==

Ferdzy said...

Spencer, hmm, lets see:

- an unknown garlic saved from a local abandoned garden

- two unknown garlics grown from garlic bought at local markets (although I'm sure one of them is Music)

- Bogatyr

- Portuguese (a variety from the Azores)

- Ferganskij

- Tibetan

- Ann's Italian

- Fish Lake

Oops, that's nine. Oh well.

spencer said...

haha very nice, the more the better!

im just looking to plant some more this fall and trying to decide on a few other varieties from what i have now, seeing what other people grow :)

localgypsiespot said...

oh great! I don't eat meat, but I buy Dylan beef from Twin Creeks Organic Farm in Meaford and I will definitely surprise him with this recipe!