Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Roasted Garlic

Roasted Garlic
The re-entering of the accounting goes on, but I did take the time yesterday to stick the last remaining heads of garlic from our garden into the oven to be roasted. I trimmed off the tops to expose the cloves, removed the outer layers of skin leaving each clove just in its own papery wrapping, set them quite loosely in a foil packet, and roasted them at 400°F. Some places I looked said they would be done in about half an hour, but in fact mine took a little over an hour. I don't know if this was because my garlic is getting a bit old, or if it was because I put it in a cast-iron baking dish that took a while to warm up.

They smelled delicious while roasting, but now my whole house has a garlic "hangover". I know what to do when I have a garlic hangover - vigorous exercise will clear that away - but I'm less sure about the house. I'm looking forward to it getting warm enough to open all the windows and doors and clear away the fustiness of the winter.

Anyway, roasted garlic mashed potatoes for dinner, I believe...




Last year at this time I made Cabbage, Carrot Sprout & Apple Salad.

2 comments:

ellieT said...

mmmm - those potatoes were probably awesome!
I've made plenty of oven roasted tomatoes, but haven't done garlic for that reason - I really don't want the whole house reeking of vampire repellent

The Armchair Housewife said...

looks beautiful! unfortunately i only got one bulb of garlic in my produce box this week and have to use it more sparingly. but ill keep this in mind when i get more!