Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Spicy Garlicky Roasted Potatoes

I haven't posted nearly as many potato recipes this winter as I expected, given the number of potatoes that we squirrelled away in the fall. We've been mostly eating them baked, fried or mashed. A darn good potato really doesn't need anything too fancy done to it. Still, these made a nice change of pace.

You could reduce the cayenne (or increase it for that matter) according to taste. If you can't find amchur powder, which is made from green mangoes and adds a tart zing to the proceedings, you might like to squeeze a little lemon juice over the potatoes to achieve some of the same effect.

6 to 8 servings
1 hour 10 minutes - 30 minutes prep time

Spicy Garlic Roasted Potatoes
Make the Spice Mixture:
1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon cumin seed
3 green cardamom pods
2 teaspoons fennel seed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste, really)
1 teaspoon amchur powder (optional)

Grind the pepper, coriander, cumin, cardamom and fennel seeds. Mix in the remaining seasonings.

Prepare the Potatoes:
1.5 kilos (3 pounds) potatoes
1 head (5-6 cloves) garlic
1/4 cup mild vegetable oil

Wash and trim the potatoes, and cut them into chunks. Put them in a pot with water to cover and bring to a boil. Boil them for 10 minutes drain well.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel and mince the garlic.

Toss the potatoes with the oil and seasoning mix in a large, shallow roasting pan. Leave the garlic out! Roast the potatoes for 20 minutes. Stir the garlic into the potatoes, and roast for another 15 to 20 minutes.

Last year at this time I made Char-Siu Style Pork Ribs and Crustless Rhubarb Pie.


Ozlemaki said...

If there re previous lives, I am sure you were somewhere in Aegean!Many of your recipies make me think of that.

Ferdzy said...

Ha, you never know! This is more Indian really, but it's true I'm always interested in Greek, Romanian, Bulgarian, and Turkish food. Um, in addition to all the rest, it's true.

Siri Vivienne Marie Khalsa Maglana said...

This is one great recipe for my community here in Vegan Cooking For Carnivores . I would recommend this recipe, truly a work of art!

Ozlemaki said...

Oh and I also love Hungarian delicasies!
(I add some fresh rosemary & whole grain mustard into this potatoe recipe.)

Ferdzy said...

Oh yes, how could I forget Hungarian! I use paprika like it's going to disappear tomorrow. (Well the way I use it, it does disappear tomorrow!)

Ozlemaki said...

yay, I love paprika!