Monday, 3 January 2011

Pasta with Roasted Squash, Mushrooms, Onions & Dried Tomatoes

Two of my favourite things together - roasted squash and pasta. The tomatoes were ones we grew and dried ourselves. As I mentioned before, I'll need to find a lot of ways to use them.

I thought when I started putting this together that there was an awful lot of squash in proportion to the pasta, but pasta expands and squash shrinks as they cook, so in the end I would have eaten even more squash with the pasta, although overall the balance wasn't bad. I've called for a bit more than I actually used.

3 to 4 servings
1 hour 20 minutes - 30 minutes prep time

Pasta with Roasted Squash, Onions, Mushrooms and Dried Tomatoes
Roast the Vegetables:
1/2 of a large butternut squash (6 cups diced)
3 medium onions
3 cups button mushrooms
2 or 3 tablespoons mild vegetable oil
salt & pepper
2 teaspoons rubbed basil
2 teaspoons rubbed oregano

Peel the squash, and discard the seeds. Cut the squash into bite-sized cubes and put them in a large lasagne pan. Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Peel and chop the onions fairly coarsely, and add them to the squash. Clean the mushrooms and cut them in halves or quarters, and add them to the squash. Drizzle the oil and seasonings over the vegetables and toss well until they are evenly coated.

Roast the vegetables for 45 minutes to an hour, until tender and browing slightly. Stir them once in the middle of the cooking time.

Finish the Dish:
250 grams (1/2 pound) stubby shaped pasta
1/2 cup dried tomatoes, chopped if they are not small
3/4 to 1 1/2 cups light cream

When the squash has about 15 or 20 minutes left to cook, put a large pot of salted water on to boil. Cook the pasta until just barely tender. Have the tomatoes sitting a small bowl which can be covered. When the water first boils, ladle enough water to cover them well over them. Cover the dish and let them soak as the pasta cooks.

When the pasta and vegetables are both done, drain the pasta and toss it with the roasted vegetables and the tomatoes (drain them first). Mix in the cream until it is mostly absorbed.

Last year at this time I made Sauerkraut Coleslaw.


Susan said...

I'm always looking for something to do with butternut squash...Lots of it in the farmers market here and I will go next week! Thanks, looks great.

Tillsonburgarian said...

How would acorn squash change the taste and texture? Only squash I have on hand.

Ferdzy said...

Thanks, Susan. Hope you enjoy it.

Jerry, I don't think acorn squash is as dense or rich-flavoured as the butternut. Still, I don't see why it shouldn't be okay. The roasting time for the squash might be a little different although realistically, much depends on how big the pieces you cut it into are.