Thursday, 6 January 2011

Jerusalem Artichoke, Celeriac & Turnip Salad with Ginger-Orange Dressing

Nice crunchy salad! Such a treat in the winter. This one has Jerusalem artichokes, celeriac and some of our delightful little Goldana turnips in it. You will most likely need to use rutabaga, in which case you might want to cut down the amount of them just a smidge as they are stronger tasting than the turnips. Although really, this is the kind of thing where you just put in what you have or want; proportions are pretty flexible.

The dressing is a nice light one, and would certainly go well on other salads. I served the salad with the dressing passed separately to keep it nice and crunchy. There were leftovers, so I marinated the rest of the salad in the rest of the dressing, and that worked well. As expected, the marinated salad was softer in texture, and brought the flavour of the dressing more to the fore.

4 to 6 servings
30 minutes prep time

Jerusalem Artichoke, Celeriac and Turnip Salad with Ginger-Orange Dressing
Make the Dressing:

1/2 to 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup orange juice (1 mandarin or tangerine)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 or 2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Peel and grate the ginger into a small bowl or jar. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well, until the sugar is dissolved. One teaspoon of sugar will usually be enough, although my orange was so sour I added a little more this time.

Make the Salad:
2 cups peeled celeriac, grated or julienned
2 cups peeled rutabaga or yellow turnip, grated or julienned
2 cups peeled Jerusalem artichokes

Peel the above vegetables and cut them into thin julienne strips. If you prefer a softer texture and to spend less time, they can be grated instead. Mix them together. Toss with the dressing. Er, that's it.




Last year at this time I made Jerk Spareribs.

6 comments:

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ sketch-free vegan said...

I didn't know you could eat all those vegetables raw...Cool recipe!

Ferdzy said...

Ha, really? Yes you can!

But I shouldn't laugh; I only discovered last year (by having someone serve them to me) that beets are good raw, after eating and cooking beets for 20 years.

Kevin Kossowan said...

I am only discovering a love for winter salads now. Greens are good, but man the root cellar offers cool stuff we just don't use often enough - so well done giving them some props.

Congrats too on your finalist spot in the CFBAs!

Tillsonburgarian said...

Excuse my total ignorance but what is CFBA?

Ferdzy said...

Kevin, it's all about the CRUNCH! It's the one thing winter food often lacks.

Thanks, and congratulations to you too! I saw your name there, and thought, "Good! One I recognize - and who definitely deserves it!"

Jerry, CFBA is the Canadian Food Blog Awards sponsored by Beer and Buttertarts (see the link on my sidebar). I've been nominated for Best Seasonal/Local Blog, (whoo-hoo!) as has Kevin. I have to say that's some pretty tough competition right there! He's on the side-bar too; check it out, his blog is excellent.

Tillsonburgarian said...

Well, my congratulations to both of you. I never knew that there were so many food blogs. I started my blog for family since they were calling every day to know what I’m cooking and it just got out of hand a bit. I did click on both links and I am impressed. I have a lot of work to do, to say the least.