Wednesday, 15 December 2010

Scalloped Sweet Potatoes

I thought I would try making that good old stand-by, scalloped potatoes, only with sweet potatoes. Here's the result and it's pretty good, I think. It looks a bit curdled, but I don't think it's any more curdled than regular scalloped potatoes; it's just that the orange makes it stand out more.

The sauce will seem very thick, and it is. Sweet potatoes are a lot more moist than regular potatoes and the liquid from them will thin it out as it cooks. Use whatever rather tangy, melty cheese you like. I used goat Gouda from Monforte but I think a Friulano would be really good too. Cheddar would really be my last choice, if I couldn't get one of the others.

As I was eating it, I thought that maybe it could use a little nutmeg in the sauce. So, if you think so too, put in a good little grating of it along with the cheese.

8 servings
2 hours - 45 minutes prep time

Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
Make the Sauce:
250 grams (1/2 pound) Gouda, Friulano, or Cheddar cheese
4 large shallots
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3 cups whole milk or light cream

Peel and mince the shallots. Grate or chop the cheese.

Put the butter in a large saucepan with the shallots, and cook until the shallots are soft over medium-high heat. Add the flour, salt and mustard and mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 or 4 minutes. Begin mixing in the milk a little at a time until you have a fairly smooth sauce. Once it thickens, add the cheese and stir until it melts. Remove from the heat.

Finish the Dish:
1 kg (2 pounds or 3 or 4 large) sweet potatoes
100 grams (1/4 pound) Gouda, Friulano or Cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Put about 1/4 of the sauce into a large glass lasagne pan (9" x 13"). Spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan.

Slice all the sweet potatoes thinly, discarding any bad spots. I didn't peel them, but I did discard the first slice from each end which was pointy and scabby skinned.

Take about 1/3 of the sweet potatoes and layer them evenly over the sauce in the lasagne pan. Top with 1/3 of the remaining sauce, and half the remaining sweet potato slices. Repeat with 1/2 the remaining sauce and all the remaining sweet potato slices, then spread the remaining sauce over the top layer. Grate the remaining cheese and sprinkle it evenly over the top.

Bake the casserole for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until golden brown.

Last year at this time I made Roasted Vegetable Wild Rice Salad.


Geni said...

I've harvested a box-full of sweet potatoes a month ago. Your dish looks very tasty and sounds easy to make. Thanks for sharing your recipes!

luckiest1 said...

Mmmmm, I love sweet potatoes and I love scalloped potatoes. Looks like a winner!