Monday, 9 August 2010

Maple-Vanilla Canned (Bottled) Peaches

I'm still in love with the combination of peaches and vanilla. I threw some maple syrup in there this time, and oh boy, these were good. I can see they're going to have to be rationed. Or I need to make some more. Actually, I need to make some more and they will still need to be rationed.

7 or 8 500-ml jars
1 1/2 hours - 1 hour prep time

Maple Vanilla Peaches
Make the Syrup:
2 cups dark maple syrup
2 cups water
1 whole vanilla bean

Measure the maple syrup and put it in a pot. Measure the water in the same cup, swishing it out well as you add it to the maple syrup - don't want to waste any! Add the vanilla bean and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes, with the lid on, until the vanilla is well infused in the syrup. You can do this a day ahead if you like, and just bring it back to the boil before using.

Bottle the Peaches:
4 quarts small firm but ripe peaches

Put a pot full of water on to boil.

Put the jars into the canner, withe water to cover them by an inch. Bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, blanch the peaches in batches for 1 minute in the boiling water. Remove them promptly to a basin of cold water. Once cool, peel them and cut them in half, and place them in a large bowl.

Once the jars are ready and the peaches are all prepared, fill the jars with peaches. You can expect to get 5 or 6 peaches into each jar if they are on the small side. It's easiest to pack them in if you put them all in cut-side down.

Add any peach juice in the bowl to the syrup. Bring it up to a good boil, and ladle it into the jars, filling them to within 1 centimetre of the top, no more. Use a chop stick to poke into the jars, making sure that any air trapped under the peaches is released. Add a bit more syrup if the level drops much.

Wipe the rims with a paper towel dipped in boiling water, and seal with lids and rings prepared according to the manufacturers instructions. Put the jars back into the canner and boil for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool, check for seals and label.

I've taken to allowing the water in my canner to drop below a boil as I fill the jars for cold-packed (room temperature actually, please) fruit. Then I bring it back up the boil once they are in, and time the processing from the point it starts to boil again. This helps keep the thermal shock down and causes fewer broken jars.

Last year at this time it was Lemony Sumac Broiled Trout, Tahini Salad Dressing, and Currant Jelly. As usual, the currants were over a good two weeks ago this year.


Melynda said...

There is nothing better than home canned peaches for dessert! Really like the canner tip, that should work great, thanks.

Joanne said...

Oh these look dreamy! Instant pie filling!

kawcor said...

Last year I made canned peaches, with one type of peach that said it was intended for canning, and another that didn't. The one intended for canning stayed firm, the other went mushy. Is there a particular type of peach that works exceptionally well for canning? Or, should I just look for a freestone variety?

HLMP said...

The maple vanilla syrup smells and tastes dreamy, but I had a problem with the canning. Despite following the directions carefully (or, at least I thought I did!), my jars bubbled out lots of the syrup when I removed them from 20 minutes of processing. The fruit is floating and not covered by the syrup any longer, although the seals seem to have popped downwards. Any idea where I went wrong and do you think the peaches will stay good? I wouldn't _mind_ eating them all now, but I would prefer to have some in January! Thanks so much for an excellent blog!

Ferdzy said...


Sorry to hear you had difficulties. First of all, yes since they have sealed they will be fine to keep. Just not perfect.

I think your problems are fairly typical of the cold pack method (which this recipe uses) and I think that perhaps you both needed to pack in more peaches and yet not fill the jars so full to avoid the overflow problem. I had some syrup escape as well; but not so much to leave the level looking dropped, just enough I needed to wash the jars before I put them away. Be sure to take off the rings and wash them as well before you store the jars.

As for the floating, it is a cosmetic problem. The best way to avoid it is to cook the fruit before it goes into the jars. Of course, that has its own effect on texture and is also quite a bit more work. I figure by packing as many peaches as I can get into each jar, no one will notice if they are floating, because they can't!

I hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy your peaches even though they did not turn out perfectly. Thank you very much for commenting - it really helps me clarify how I should be writing my recipes.

Ferdzy said...

Hi Kawcor;

I honestly don't know the answer to your question, but I expect I will be talking to a peach farmer within the next week or so... I will ask for a list of the best canning varieties.

Tiffany said...


Clingstones are actually the canning peaches, not the freestone. I've heard red havens are good for canning.

Good luck in your canning endeavours.

Tiffany said...

Sorry, it was baby golds that are good for canning, not red havens.

So many peaches, so little time. Sorry for my confusion said...

Great idea...I love this too! We are just making our maple syrup now so I'm going to make a note of this idea for our peaches this summer! Thanks!

paws said...

I made a batch of these last night, and they were SO GOOD! Thanks for sharing your recipe! (I want to make some more, too!)