Monday, 16 August 2010

Gazpacho - with Traditional Cucumber, or With Zucchini

I made this gazpacho with zucchini, and it was very successfull, although I hear a rumour it can be made with cucumber instead. Of course I never touch the stuff.

Unfortunately, for some reason my tomatoes, although ripe, were not all that red once they were peeled and so the gazpacho was not as bright as I would have liked. It was very tasty and refreshing though - just the thing for this hot, muggy weather we've been having.

Speaking of which... Oh, how I wish it would rain a respectable amount of rain! We've had barely an inch in the last month, and barely 3 inches in the last 2 months. I water, and water, and water, but the poor garden is so dry.

4 servings
15 minutes prep time

1 medium mild red onion
1 clove garlic
1 medium zucchini OR cucumber
1 small mild pepper (I used sweet banana)
1 or 2 stalks of celery
3 cups diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or 4 of verjus
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sunflower seed oil

Peel the onion and garlic, and chop them roughly. Wash and trim the zucchini or cucumber and chop them roughly. Stem, core and chop the pepper. Wash and trim the celery and chop roughly.

Put a pot of water on to boil, and blanch the tomatoes in it for 1 minute. Cool under cold water, and peel and chop them roughly. I think it is also helpful to blanch the onion, garlic and zucchini (but not cucumber) for a minute as well, and cool them at once under cold water, at least if onions or garlic ever cause digestive problems.

Put the prepared vegetables into a blender or food processor, with the vinegar, salt and oil. Process until evenly and finely chopped, and soupy in texture. You will need to stop and scrape down the sides several times. It should not, however, be perfectly smooth when done; there should be some texture to the vegetables. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve chilled.

Last year at this time I made Torshi Lift.

No comments: