Monday, 26 July 2010

Zucchini Vinaigrette

Oh, now here's a shocker. More zucchini! Who could have ever seen that coming?

Actually this was a big hit. Will definitely do this again. And again...

I was talking to my Dad the other evening and he reminded me that he has a book on zucchini put out by friends of his back in the '70's. (Yeah; a self-published hippie classic full of zucchini recipes, lore and trivia! I really should borrow it. But apparently I don't need that recipe for zucchini ice-cream just yet.)

6 servings
1 1/2 hours - 30 minute prep; one hour to rest

Get Started:
1/3 cup apple cider, white wine or balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon rubbed basil
1 teaspoon rubbed oregano
1 teaspoon dried mint
1/4 teaspoon salt

Put these together in a broad, shallow bowl or pan that will hold the zucchini in a couple layers once sliced, and mix the herbs into the vinegar.

4 or 5 medium zucchini
2 cloves of garlic

Wash, trim and slice the zucchini into 4 to 6 long slices lengthwise. Keep them as even as you can. Peel and mince the garlic.

And Finish Up:
3 or 4 tablespoons sunflower or olive oil

Heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the zucchini in batches, browning them evenly on both sides, and move them to the dish of vinegar and herbs as they are cooked. Be careful! Frying zucchini in this amount of hot oil is worse than cooking bacon for flying spatters. Wear long sleeves and turn the zucchini with caution.

Once all the zucchini slices are cooked and placed in the vinegar mixture, add the garlic to the pan and sauté it briefly. Stir constantly and the moment it begins to change colour scrape it into the pan of zucchini, along with all the oil in the pan. Do not delay as the garlic will scorch in seconds if left.

Gently turn the zucchini slices to be sure the garlic and herb bits are evenly distributed throughout the zucchini, and that they all have had a chance to have a bath in the vinegar. Set the dish aside to cool at least until all the vinegar has been absorbed, or about an hour ideally. It can be put in the fridge but it is best served slightly warm or at room temperature. It should be able to just sit on the back of the counter until wanted; there's nothing that will spoil quickly there.

Last year at this time I made Jam Tea Loaf.


CallieK said...

Zucchini is the only thing not taking off in my garden- I still don't even have a hint of one!

Ferdzy said...

Oh no! That's sad.

TheSweetOne said...

CallieK, you're welcome to come raid our garden! We have four plants that are producing far more than my little family can consume! My carrots on the other hand are dismal...

Tiffany said...

Yum. I'll have to try this. I start to draw a blank on what to do with zucchini after a while. I've always been afraid to grow zukes because I know enough people who do, who have to beg others just to take some. I'm one of the recipients.

Joanne said...

My roommate's mom noticed that I was making a lot of zucchini recipes on the blog and gave me this ancient zucchini cookbook! It's awesome. I love that vinaigrette...the zucchini must be so tasty.

Lisa R-R said...

Maybe your dad should revive the zucchini cookbook?
I have another Canadian one from 2001, but I think there is room for more than one!
The vinaigrette looks like a good recipe - thanks a lot!