Wednesday, 14 July 2010

Pea "Hummous"

This winter my mother found a recipe for zucchini "hummous". (And as someone with 16 zucchini plants in my backyard you can bet I'll be making it soon too.) It was surprisingly good, and so I've been looking for other hummous-type dip recipes made with vegetables. Versions of this one seem to be quite popular, and why not? It's got a rich, sweet pea flavour and a beautiful bright spring-green colour.

3 cups (6 to 12 servings)
15 minutes prep time plus 15 minutes to shell the peas


3 cups shelled peas (6 cups with shells)
1/4 cup parsley or cilantro
3/4 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 or 2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup tahini
the juice of 1 to 2 lemons

Shell the peas. Put a large pot of water on to boil, and when it boils add the peas. Boil until tender, about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, put the parsley or cilantro, cumin, salt, garlic and tahini into a food processor. Process until finely chopped.

Drain the cooked peas, and rinse them in cold water until cool. Drain well, and add them to the food processor. Blend until very smooth. Add the juice of one lemon, and blend it in well. Taste the hummous, and add more lemon juice if desired. I find this does take a lot of lemon juice; the peas are so delightfully fresh and sweet tasting, but that calls out for a lot of lemon to balance them.

Serve as you would regular hummous, with bread, crackers, chips etc.




Last year at this time I made Strawberry Shortcake. What a different year this is. Strawberries are ancient history and now the cherries are pretty much over. Peaches and apricots are hitting the market already... kind of unnerving, but don't wait around - everything is at least, AT LEAST 2 weeks early this year. Plan for it!

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I love the sound of this! I'm always looking for new and intriguing hummus varieties to spread over some homemade bread!

David Orr said...

I made this last night because it looked so good, but sadly neither my wife or I liked it. Way to sweet for a hummus.

Ferdzy said...

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you, David! But thank you for trying it and reporting back - I appreciate that.