Sunday, 27 June 2010

Roasted Garlic Scapes

I'm baaa-ack!

You didn't even know I was gone, did you? We went to Ottawa last week to visit relatives, and I have a bunch of posts to put up from that trip.

I'm feeling a little frazzled though; not only is the garden a week deep in new weeds, but my computer died a horrible death as soon as I got home and Mr. Ferdzy has been working heroically all day to resuscitate it, when he really should have been building more deer fencing. I'll be trying to get things posted, find stuff on my computer (it's mostly all here somewhere, I think - just in new and exciting places, and I haven't a bookmark to my name anymore) and of course weed the garden. Although the deer have kind of discovered it so weeding may soon become moot. Goodbye chard, just when I was about to start picking it. They do like that stuff.

These were ridiculously simple, and very good. Roasting gives them a mild, almost leek-like flavour. Serve them with steak, fish or chicken, or over mashed potatoes.

depends how many you roast
about 15 to 20 minutes - 5 to 10 minutes prep time

Roasted Garlic Scapes
garlic scapes... however many you want to roast
olive oil, sunflower oil, or other light-flavoured oil
salt & pepper

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Wash the garlic scapes. Trim off and discard the long, thin points of each scape where they start getting tough. Probably this will be 2 to 3 inches. Toss the scapes with just enough oil to coat them lightly. Arrange them in a single layer (mostly) on a baking tray, and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper (if you like).

Roast the scapes for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned in spots. Watch them; they can go from perfect to burnt and tough in a matter of seconds.



Last year at this time I made Stir-Fried Beed & Kohlrabi.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I've only ever used garlic scapes in pesto! I would never have thought to roast them...bet they would be great in pasta.

I'm sorry to hear about your computer but glad the hubs fixed it!

TheSweetOne said...

I'm going to try these! I might have to raid my neighbour's garlic patch to have enough though as I used some of mine in an omelet last week...looking forward to a year when I have enough garlic to actually eat instead of saving to plant!

Kevin Kossowan said...

Yeah, okay, so I feel like a bit of a moron having missed the scape action. Wasn't growing them until this year,that's my excuse. ;)

Ferdzy said...

Well, now you know! I'm looking forward to your fabulous garlic scape recipes!