Tuesday, 4 May 2010

Pink Onion & Potato Soup

If you read my post about sweet pink onions, you may remember that Frank Schroyens, who grows them here in Ontario, recommended them for soup. Here is my interpretion of the soup he described. I have to say it was quite delicious, and the leftovers have, if anything, improved with standing a day or two. Like vichysoise, which it resembles, I suspect it would be good cold. (I particularly suspect this because I licked out the storage container before putting it in the dishwasher. Yum.)

6 to 8 servings
40 minutes - 30 minutes prep time

Pink Onion and Potato Soup
3 large sweet pink onions
1 large leek
2 or 3 stalks of celery
6 medium (700 grams, 1 1/2 pounds) potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon mild vegetable oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon celery seed, ground
1 cup light cream (I used 5%)

Peel and chop the onions, no need to do them too finely. Clean and chop the leek and the celery.

Peel the potatoes, and cut them into chunks. Put them in a large soup-pot with water to cover. Bring them to a boil and boil steadily as you sauté the other vegetables.

Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onions until they begin to soften, then add the leek and celery. Continue cooking, stirring regularly, until all the vegetables are quite soft and cooked down. However, don't let them brown too much if at all. Towards the end, add all the seasonings.

Add the onions, leek and celery to the boiling potatoes. Continue cooking them until the potatoes are quite soft.

Let the soup cool somewhat before proceeding, or completely if you like. You could refrigerate it overnight at this point if you like.

When you are ready to proceed, purée the soup until very smooth. Add the cream and reheat, stirring frequently and not allowing the soup to boil.




Last year at this time I was obsessing about wedding cake, and made a Fabulous Chocolate Frosting.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I have a tendency to think that most veggie-based soups can be served cold. Although I mostly feel this way because I am occasionally too lazy to reheat leftovers. I.e. I just can't wait that long to eat them. This looks almost creamy...how delicious.

Sophie said...

A stunning & lovely soup this is!

MMMMMMMMM,...Love it!