Saturday, 29 May 2010

I Have Not Fallen Off the Face of the Earth

My father and his partner were here for a long weekend, a visit which overlapped with me coming down with a nasty cold. The tide of snot is starting to recede, and my brain is starting to function again, so who knows; I may post something of substance in the upcoming week.

In the mean time, I leave you with this picture of another visitor we had this week. It's a midland painted turtle. We offered it some lettuce but it did not eat it and eventually wandered off. It seemed to have a definite plan in mind. Wish I could say the same.

We think another turtle laid some eggs in one of our flower beds; at least there are narrow dragging marks, and a carefully dug depression. Having seen other turtle tracks I would have said it was a snake, except no snakes have ever dug a hole that I have heard of... it would be, to say the least, surprising. We will leave that spot unplanted and see if anything happens.


Marnie said...

Nice turtle -- hope some little ones appear! And I hope you're recovered from your cold.

Have you seen this?

"We're big fans of the crackers and biscuits from Evelyn's Crackers, and they've just come out with two new flavours. The Saw-Bucks are made with buckwheat and red fife flour, as well as spelt flakes and currants. They're like a heartier, healthier version of the British Garibaldi biscuit."

Ferdzy said...

Thanks, Marnie. I'm still feeling pretty bad unfortunately, although I'm finally seeing some improvement.

I saw the post, but I haven't seen the crackers. I'll have to look for them.

Donwatcher said...

One interesting fact about turtle nests is that nests in sunny spots produce a majority of female babies. Unfortunately many nests are dug up by raccoons or foxes looking for a tasty meal.

Sometimes wire cages are built around nest sites to protect them. See

Maybe a cloth or burlap covering would be OK if you removed it by beginning of August. Turtle eggs hatch after about 75 days so they usually hatch around the end of August. I have no idea if this works. You might want to investigate this further.

Ferdzy said...

Thanks, Donwatcher. I've got some burlap and will cover that spot. We certainly have lots of foxes and raccoons back there.

Here's a funny question: should I water them? I mean, I didn't, and they've been dry now for about 2 weeks as they would have been laid about a week after our last rain. We're expecting rain tonight and this week, thank the FSM.

And I imagine with the heat we've been having this year already, we can expect 100% female babies, if any!

We found turtle eggs once before when digging in the garden, but they were plainly very old ones (just the leathery shells filled with dirt) which had not hatched for some reason.

Shawna said...

Hey Ferdzy!

There's this great local Ontario food site called Local Harvest and it posts its finds [recipes, restaurants, shops, etc] there quite often. It's a great resource if you're into local Ontario food, which you are. I hope it's helpful for you!