Thursday, 13 May 2010

Frog Soup

No frogs were harmed in the making of this soup. However "Frog soup!" is what my Mom said as I put a bowl in front of her and now I guess I can't call it anything else. In fact the green comes from ramps and fiddleheads and the little froggy heads peeping up from the soupy swamp are also fiddleheads.

Alas this is pretty much the last of the ramps for the year, at least around here. Fiddleheads should be around a little longer, but they too are moving along. Sorry as I am to see them go I will not be sad to see the weather get a little warmer. And soon, strawberries! Okay, then.

This was a nice soup but I have to admit it took too damn many pots. Not sure how to get the number down.

If you want to make it in advance and reheat it, no problem. You'll just have to also drop the reserved fiddleheads for garnishing into boiling water for a minute or two to reheat them.

3 to 4 servings
30 minutes prep time

Frog Soup with Ramps and Fiddleheads
2 large potatoes
4 cups chicken stock
1 cup cleaned and trimmed raw fiddleheads
2 bunches ramps (24 to 32)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flour
salt & pepper to taste

Scrub the potatoes, trimming off any bad spots, and cut them into chunks. Put them in a pot with the chicken stock, and bring to a boil. Boil until the potatoes are tender.

Put the cleaned, trimmed fiddleheads into another pot with water to just cover, and bring to a boil. Boil for about 4 minutes, then drain and replace the water. Boil them for another 4 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the white parts off from the ramps, and trim and wash them. Chop the green tops of the ramps, and set them aside for the moment.Chop the white parts finely, and sauté them in the butter until lightly browned. Add the flour, and season with salt and pepper - the amount of salt will depend on how much is in the chicken stock. I used a teaspoon, but my stock was unsalted.

When the flour is pretty much cooked onto the ramps, put them into the pot with the potatoes as they cook. Add the chopped ramp tops as well.

Drain the fiddleheads, and put 1/3 to 1/2 of them into the soup, and keep the remaing 1/2 to 2/3 aside to garnish the finished soup.

Put the soup into a blender or food-processor and blend until smooth, but do not overdo it, or the potatoes may become gummy. Reheat the soup if necessary, and serve garnished with the remaining fiddleheads.




Last year at this time I made Irish Soda Bread.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

My fav time of year- fiddleheads!!! Loving this soup!

marisa said...

i love fiddleheads! i managed to forage around for some of my own last weekend :)

Joanne said...

I actually love the name! It makes it more fun to eat I think.