Monday, 17 May 2010

Another Garden Report


Because really, that's about all I've been doing for the last week, and about all I expect to be doing for the next week. It's garden crunch time.


This is what most of my morning looks like, at least the hose-nozzle part. Not all the beds have burlap on them; only the carrots and celery to keep their tiny, tiny seeds shaded and damp as they -hopefully - germinate. For people with a yard full of Queen Anne's lace, we sure do have a hard time getting any carrots to germinate.


We still have those last 2 beds to dig... other things just keep popping up on the to-do list before them. Not for much longer though; we want to plant them in about a week so I will have to get cracking on them. They will get the eggplants and chiles in one bed and melons and squash in the other.


This is our lettuce bed. Not impressive, is it? There is lettuce in there. Some. Not doing much. There are definitely plants we can grow well in this garden, and plants we can't, and it looks like lettuce is going to be a "can't". The spinach in the next bed is doing quite well though.


We planted the tomatoes a few days back. Yes, that's early, but we put them under the movable hoop houses so we can pull a plastic blanket over them and keep them warm at night. They are settling in nicely and looking very happy. They were definitely getting a bit leggy and yellow in their pots.


Aaaand the coldframe spinach planted last fall just keeps on going. It's a little frightening, almost. My previous experience of growing spinach consists of having three puny little leaves grow and do nothing for a month or so, and then it bolts. Fall planting, in compost, in the cold frame. Sounds like something from "Clue" but, damn, it works. We'll be doing that again for sure, and looking at other things to fall plant too.


Oh, and we do have rhubarb. This is the rhubarb that we divided in the fall (3 clumps worth) with the 5 clumps we didn't get to yet right behind them. Rhubarb! Rhubarb! Rhubarb!


Oh, and that's rhubarb too. We have lots, yes. It's one of those things either you have none and pine for it or you have so much you don't know what to do with it. After all those finicky vegetables it's nice to have a plant you couldn't kill with an axe though.

Anyway, gotta go. I've still got a bed to dig today. Not the one of the last 2 veggie beds; a different one. I'll be back... someday.

7 comments:

maslowka said...

I'm jealous of all that rhubarb!:) Reminds me of my neighbours when we lived in New Brunswick - hedges of rhubarb. I'm canvassing my neighbours cause I want to make Rhubarb Pie-in-a-Jar. I just have a tiny plant so far so can't pick from it this year for sure. Ah well - your gardens look lovely!

Ferdzy said...

Hang in there, Maslowka; if you have half-decent soil and reasonable sun soon you too will have hedges of rhubarb.

Sophie said...

Hello Ferdzy!!

Your garden is looking marvellous!!

oooh,..yes! I just made your sherry rhubarb & it was so tasty & lovely!!

I made a lot of your rhubarb recipes, salads, etc. You have one COOL foodblog & you ROCK!!

Maryrose said...

What do you have hiding under those pop bottles. I am very new to gardening and I need to know what plants I should be protecting.

Ferdzy said...

Oh thank you Sophie, you are so kind!! I'm glad you're enjoying the rhubarb.

Maryrose, there's nothing hidden under the pop bottles. We cut a hole in the bottom, then half-bury them so that we can fill them and have the water run out into the earth near the roots of plants. We use them in beds with fairly large but few plants such as tomatoes, squash, peppers, etc. This allows us to use less water to keep them going - it goes straight to the roots, hopefully.

It's getting to be late enough that most things could go out. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash and melons, and some kinds of beans are all heat lovers and should not have been put out until about now unless protected. We are still holding off on some of the real heat lovers for another week; the melons, peppers, eggplant, lima beans (seeds) and peanuts (seeds) come to mind.

Kevin Kossowan said...

I envy your cold frames. I'd like to have some built and operational for this fall, but missed my chance for the spring. Good on ya.

Melynda said...

I wish my rhubarb was as big and healthy as yours. We have very large pine trees in our yard, and I think that changes everything.