Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Sandwich Buns

I've been yearning for some buns lately, and since that means making them myself usually, I made some myself. Not bad; could have been a little lighter in texture. It's that red fife flour, I guess. You could use more white spelt and less red fife if you liked.

16 buns
30 minutes work time - at least 6 hours rising - 15-20 minutes baking

Sandwich Buns
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/4 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon dry yeast

3 cups white spelt flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 cups red fife flour
red fife flour to knead

Heat the milk and butter until the butter melts; set aside to cool slightly. Mix the sugar into the water then sprinkle the yeast over. Let it sit 5 minutes until foamy.

Meanwhile, mix the salt into the spelt flour and red fife flour in a mixing bowl.

Mix the milk and yeast mixtures into the spelt flour. Turn out the dough onto a clean, floured board or counter, and knead it with extra red fife flour as needed to form a soft, slightly sticky dough. It should pull away from your hand or the counter reluctantly, but completely. Knead the dough for 10 minutes.

Put the dough in a clean, oiled bowl, and turn it to coat the dough in the oil. Cover and set aside in a warm place to rise until doubled in size.

Roll the dough out into a rough rectangle, and cut it into 16 equal squares. Put them on a prepared baking ban (or two) lined with parchment paper. Cover with a clean tea-towel and put in a warm place to rise again until doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 375°F, and bake the buns for 16 to 18 minutes, until firm and very lightly browned.

Last year at this time I made Spanish Rice.


Joanne said...

Very nice! I made a New Year's resolution to only bake my own bread this year so I'm always looking for new yeast recipes to try. These look great!

Renata said...

Recipe looks great and I love the embroidered pattern of the cloth the bread is presented in - it reminds me of the Ukrainian embroidery my grandmother used to work on!

Ferdzy said...

Thanks Renata. That's one of my most treasured little objects. It's actually hand embroidery on very fine wool that was done, according to my father who gave it to me, by nuns in Morocco. Which seems surprising, because I don't think of there being nuns in Morocco, but that's what he said. It's amazing how similar embroidery patterns are from one place to another expecially once you get into some of the geometric patterns.