Tuesday, 29 September 2009

Plum Torte

This is a fairly moist, heavy, rich, sweet cake; it makes an excellent foil to tart plums. The batter will seem shockingly skimpy, and the plums will barely be sitting in it when the cake goes into the oven, but it will rise up and engulf them.

8 to 10 servings
1 hour 15 minutes - 20 minutes prep time

Plum Torte
16 to 18 purple Italian or German plums
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 extra-large eggs
1 cup + 2 tablespoons soft whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Wash the plums, and cut them in half. Discard the pits.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9" springform pan with parchment paper, and butter the sides lightly.

Cream the butter and sugar until light. Mix in the salt and almond extract, and beat in the eggs one at a time. Mix the flour and baking powder together, then stir into the wet ingredients until well blended.

Using a spatula, scrape the batter into the prepared pan, and spread it out as evenly as you can. It will seem like barely enough to cover the bottom, but persevere. Then, take the plum halves and stick them in the batter standing up in circles, starting at the outside of the pan. Think stonehenge.

Bake the cake for 45 to 55 minutes, until firm on top and golden-brown all over.

Last year at this time I made Honey-Mint Glazed Carrots.


Simeon (Sam) George Drakich said...

I'm inviting myself to your house, hopefully you serve the plum torte with Schlagsahne.

Ferdzy said...

Umm... got a little ice-cream in the freezer, will that do?

Joanne said...

What a beautiful cake! Perfect to celebrate plum season. AND it's a whole grainer!

Charlene Austin said...

Holy YUM!

OH guess what Ferdzy...my friend and I made your pickles and I already opened a jar (at about the 2-3 week mark) and OMG they are delish! It was our first time and they didn't really "seal" but they are perfect! Thanks for sharing so much fabulous stuff on your fabulous blog!

Ferdzy said...

Glad to hear it, Charlene. They don't really seal - they are a fermented food, not a "canned" food, so that's fine.

I'm very happy to hear you are enjoying the blog.

Ferdzy said...

Oh and Charlene, I had a quick peek at your blog and was perfectly horrified. Not by the blog, but by that picture, you know the one, of you-know-what. Tell me you live way north of me. OhdearGod,waywaynorthofme.

Charlene Austin said...

LOL....Ferdzy...I am way WEST of you. I am in Calgary, Alberta and you know what it's been snowing for the last 2 days again! My anti-lock brakes engaged today because the roads are garbage right now with all the horrible ice!!! Hold on to fall as long as you can!!!

It's 2:30am and suddenly I want to go get a pickle and have a snack. Haha.

Ferdzy said...

Well, I'm relieved to hear that, Charlene. I guess. Word has it we may get some of the white stuff ourselves next week. Ugh! Way too soon.