Saturday, 29 August 2009

Wax Beans & Beet Greens with Stewed Tomatoes

At this time of year, I want to serve all kinds of vegetables cooked down with a little tomato. This was a particularly successful combination, I thought. You could use other greens than the beet greens, but they added a pink tint to the sauce that I found quite appealing.

3 or 4 servings
30 minutes - 15 minutes prep time

Wax beans and beet greeens with stewed tomatoes
2 cups sliced yellow wax beans
3 or 4 cups chopped beet greens (or chard or kale)
1 cup crushed tomatoes
3 or 4 shallots
1 or 2 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon sunflower seed oil

Wash and trim the beams, and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Wash the green, and discard the stems if they are tough. Chop them somewhat coarsely. Peel and finely chop the tomato. Peel and chop the shallots, and mince the garlic.

Heat the oil in a medium sized skillet. Sauté the shallots gently until softened and just beginning to brown. Add the garlic, and sauté for a minute more. Add the beans and tomatoes, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the beans are nearly tender. Add the dry chopped beet greens, and cook down.




Last year at this time I made Celery & Mushroom Soup.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

At this time of year I am craving tomatoes as well. I want to use them in everything while I can. I hope to make large batches of fresh tomato sauce to freeze this week.

I like the combination of beans and greens here. Good stuff.

Ferdzy said...

Yeah, we're starting to think about tomatoes for sauce and stuff here too. Probably will haul out the canner next week.