Thursday, 23 July 2009

Green Beans in Tomato-Yogurt Dressing

Okay, it's another case of do what I say, and not what I did. It seems that nothing can stop me from topping and tailing beans, then looking at them and saying, "Ooo! Aren't they lovely just like this! I think I won't cut them up any more." Even though the last time I made a bean based dish, I did the exact same thing, and realized that the long skinny shapes, however lovely, just don't work when it comes to eating them.

My sauce was also a tad thin; the yogurt could have been thicker. I think it might be a good idea an hour or so before you plan to make this, to set aside the yogurt in a coffee filter to remove excess liquid. In that case, measure out more than a half cup of yogurt to allow for the loss of volume. Same goes for the tomatoes. Finely mince them, then drain them in a coffee filter for a while. Your sauce will stick a bit better.

3 or 4 servings
30 minutes prep time

Green Beans in Tomato Yogurt Dressing
Make the Dressing:
1/2 cup thick yogurt
2 medium tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1/2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
salt & pepper
2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
2 tablespoons finely minced dill
1/2 of a small clove of garlic

Mince the tomatoes finely, or chop them in a food processor, then mix them with the yogurt, ketchup, paprika, salt and pepper. Finely mince the parsley, dill and garlic and stir them in. Don't use much more than about 1/8 of a teaspoon of garlic, or it may be too strong. Let the dressing sit for 20 minutes or so to let the flavours blend.

Dress the Beans:
2 cups green or yellow beans, or a mix of the two

Top and tail the beans, cut them into bite sized pieces, and steam or boil them until barely tender, just 2 or 3 minutes. Rinse them in cold water to keep them from cooking any further. Drain them throughly - it's best to actually dry them in a tea-towel - then toss them with the dressing.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I do the same thing with green beans and every time I do, my father chastises me! Oh well, I guess it's the aesthete in me. I love the sound of this tomato-yogurt dressing - perfect for summer.