Tuesday, 14 July 2009

Celebratory Pig-Roast at Monforte Dairy's New Home

Monforte Dairy Pig Roast
On Sunday afternoon we went to Stratford to see Monforte Dairy's new site. It wasn't the new site I thought it was; it was a new new site. The previous site fell through at the last moment, but fortunately this one was available. We arrived a little late; the parking lot was already very full and a game of croquet was being played on the front lawn.

Monforte Dairy Pig Roast
The building was previously used as a bakery, and presently consists of a front shop and offices,


Monforte Dairy Pig Roast
and a large back warehouse/workspace. Banners had been hung and a happy crowd was digging into fresh crusty bread, remarkable thin and crunchy crackers, and cheese. Lots of lovely cheese.


Monforte Dairy Pig Roast
There was an opportunity to buy several different kinds of cheese.


Monforte Dairy Pig Roast
A pair of musicians provided background music.


Monforte Dairy Pig Roast
Ruth Klahsen, the cheesemaking force behind Monforte Dairy gave a brief report on progress in re-starting Monforte Dairy. Things are looking good... over $200,000 in the bank and close to 500 subscribers!


Monforte Dairy Pig Roast
After that, it was time to eat.


Monforte Dairy Pig Roast
This sort of pig-roasting set-up is often available to rent in small-town Ontario. I don't know, maybe you can rent them in Toronto too, but I never saw one until I hit the country where they are quite popular. This pig came from a farmer (David Martin) who has been using the whey from Monforte cheese to feed his pigs.


Monforte Dairy Pig Roast
Once it was cooked, pig-surgery was performed (I kept expecting someone to stick out a hand and ask for a clamp) and then the guests fell to.


Monforte Dairy Pig Roast
There was also a wide selection of salads and desserts brought by the attendees; plainly dedicated foodies all, judging by the quality. Overall, it was a very pleasant evening and it was exciting to see how Monforte Dairy is shaping up. To find out more about what's happening, see the Monforte Dairy website. It's by no means too late to subscribe for a great deal on what promises to be some great cheese.

2 comments:

Donwatcher said...

I was interested in becoming a subscriber at the $500 level. The benefit says "Two $75 baskets of cheese per year for five years". So I sent an email to the dairy asking how much cheese makes up a $75 basket but I didn't get a clear answer. Do you have any idea?

Ferdzy said...

Well, their prices vary from cheese to cheese; a soft unripened cheese, say, will likely be a bit less expensive than one that requires a long aging period. I've been buying a lot of their cheddar, which is currently retailing for somewhere between $16 and $17 per pound. That's at my local 100 Mile Market; I've heard rumours of people being charged waaay more in Toronto, if they aren't buying it direct at a farmers market. So right away, I think you are getting a benefit in that you are paying a lower price than you would be in a fancy cheese shop.

Based on the figures I've been seeing I would take a guess that a $75 basket would have somewhere between 3 and 5 pounds of assorted cheeses. But that's just me totally guessing. I can understand why it's a bit vague; they've been selling cheeses at certain prices but there is no guarantee their costs will remain what they've been.

I've subscribed, and I'm planning to go with the voucher option, just because there are cheese types I really like and cheese types that I really quite dislike, and at that kind of money I'd like to end up with the ones that I really like thank you very much. Mind you, I know exactly what the mark-up is a the 100 Mile Market, and I also have the option of going to their factory, which is within range of my usual stomping grounds.