Tuesday, 30 June 2009

The Wedding Cake at the Wedding!

Gluten Free Wedding Cake
As anyone who reads this blog knows, I have been obsessing about wedding cake for some time now, as I had one to make. My cousin Elizabeth and cousin (now!) John Iannou's wedding was on Sunday, and it went off perfectly splendidly, in spite of a cool, fresh little rain and the fact that it was supposed to have taken place outdoors. The golf club where it took place had a lovely covered sitting area that worked just fine, and everything looked lovely. I at least was very happy it was not too hot; the icing didn't melt, hurrah!


Gluten Free Wedding Cake - Marzipan Roses
I was sweating bullets up to the last moment. I took all the components down to assemble the morning of the wedding, as I knew I could not manage to get the cakes down undamaged if I tried to prepare them elsewhere. I got there at 8:30 am and was sticking on the last rosebuds about 5 minutes before the groom was to head up the aisle, at 11:00 am. However, it was done, and I got to my seat in the nick of time.


Cutting the Wedding Cake
And there they are! Looking just as happy as I hope they will always be. Congratulations, John and Liz!

5 comments:

Melynda said...

How lovely! I really like the idea of the "waterfall" plate arrangement. Looks like it was a great day.

Joanne said...

How lucky the two of them are to have you! The cake looks delicious, not a hair out of place.

Andrea said...

Wow the cake looked great - I have those same plates! Aren't the wonderful for entertaining?

Ferdzy said...

The plate worked out really well. Hurray for Costco! ;) My Aunt found it, and it was perfect.

It was a great day, although I have to admit I had one piece of cake and 3 (or was it 4?) pieces of the homemade baklava which was supplied by the groom's side of the family. I was contemplating another one but good sense (if you can talk about good sense after that much baklava) prevailed.

Elizabeth said...

The bride here... Just have to say that we ARE lucky to have you and that the cake added such a nice, personal touch to the wedding day! Everyone loved it and it made for some excellent pictures. The best man loved it so much (it didn't make him sick and bloated-- also wheat intolerant) that he asked for a whole cake to share with his wife and her sisters. I gave him several pieces but did not want to part with a whole cake!!! They were OUR cakes after all! :)