Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Strawberry Streusel Oatmeal Muffins

You know, in two years of posting I'm pretty sure this is the first muffin recipe I have done. I like muffins, but they figured far too prominently in my career trajectory to be something I want to make often. I spent a couple of years working in an anarchist bakery collective making vegan banana muffins, vegan banana muffins and more vegan banana muffins. Actually, on reflection, I made vegan bran muffins too, but for some reason the banana muffins really stick in my memory, and yes, that is my least-favourite muffin flavour as a result.

Some people don't know when enough is enough, and later Mr. Ferdzy and I went into business manufacturing organic baking mixes, which involved not only baking muffins, but baking teeny tiny, sample-sized muffins. I'm sure I baked thousands of the little buggers.

However, after having some company visit last week I had leftover cooked oatmeal. I know to the flake how much Mr. Ferdzy and I will eat, but with company I feel obliged to err on the side of too much, and I did. Since I have already made leftover oatmeal scones and leftover oatmeal cake with apples, it was time for muffins. Since I bought a flat of strawberries this week, I added strawberries and streusel too. The strawberries made the muffins a bit soft, but they were delicious and disappeared remarkably rapidly.

12 muffins
45 minutes - 20 minutes prep time

Strawberry Streusel Oatmeal Muffins
1 1/2 cups cooked oatmeal
1/3 cup Sucanat or dark brown sugar
1 extra-large egg
1/3 cup sunflower seed oil

1 1/2 cups chopped or sliced strawberries
1 tablespoon flour

2 cups soft whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 cup buttermilk or milk

3 tablespoons Sucanat or dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Butter 12 muffin cups, or line them with muffin liners. Wash and drain the strawberries, then hull them and cut them into fairly small pieces. Toss them with the tablespoon of flour. Set them aside.

Mix the Sucanat into the oatmeal, working it to break up any lumps in the oatmeal. Beat in the egg, then the oil.

Measure the flour then mix in the salt and baking powder.

Mix the remaining flour, Sucanat and cinnamon in a small bowl. Rub in the butter until it is well blended and the mixture forms coarse crumbs.

Mix the flour and buttermilk alternately into the oatmeal mixture. Fold in the strawberries. Divide the batter amongst the prepared muffin cups, and top them with the streusel mixture.

Bake at 375°F for about 25 minutes, until firm to the touch. It is best to let the muffins cool before "peeling" them and eating them; otherwise they may be rather crumbly.





Last year at this time I made Spinach, Asparagus & Pea Soup.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I'm sorry for your aversion to muffins! I love them as a snack or for dessert but then again thats probably because I'm a cupcake fiend and the two are so alike. The strawberry streusel idea is great!