Friday, 26 June 2009

Strawberry Cream Pie

I made what I consider to be the ultimate strawberry pie last year, which is a tough act to follow. However, this year I thought I'd make something a little different. It's also an unbaked pie; when it comes to fresh, in-season fruit they are frequently the best.

If you think it looks an awful lot like banana cream pie, well, that's because it pretty much is. Only with strawberries. As such, it isn't likely to cut too nicely. It's going to be a bit of a goopy, creamy mess. Don't worry, once everyone has taken that first bite, they will be too busy eating to notice.

It should be added that when I say a 9" pie, I mean an actual 9" pie; not an 8" pie with flanges, which is what you get if you buy pre-made pie crusts. If you do that and end up with too much filling to go in you could put the extra into a glass cup and call it a parfait, I suppose.

I'm up to my eye-brows in wedding cake preparations at the moment; posting is likely to be spotty to non-existant over the weekend and into next week.

8 servings
1 hour 30 minutes - 1 hour prep time, not including setting time

Strawberry Cream Pie
1 prepared single 9" pie crust, baked - I used this one

1 quart (4 cups) strawberries, hulled and sliced

1 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Filling:
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup arrowroot or cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 whole extra-large egg
2 extra-large egg yolks
2 cups rich milk or light cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Put the sugar, starch and salt in a heavy-bottomed pot, and beat in the egg and egg yolks. Slowly beat in the milk or cream.

Heat the mixture gently, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Stir constantly. Mix in the vanilla extract. Allow the mixture to cool but not set.

Meanwhile, have your prepared baked pie shell ready. Fill it with the strawberries; washed, drained, hulled and sliced. (Save a few berries to garnish the finished pie.) Pour the custard mixture over them, and mix them gently in.

Put the pie in the fridge to set for several hours to overnight. Just before serving, beat the cream stiff with the sugar and vanilla extract. Spread the cream over the pie, and garnish with any reserved berries.




Last year at this time I made Chicken and Pasta Salad with Peas and An Ethiopian Style Salad.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm not a total lover of banana cream pies, but I blame it on the banana not the consistency. Strawberries, though - I LOVE. This is definitely going on my to-do list. Good luck with the wedding cake!

Ferdzy said...

Thanks, Joanne! I'm off to the "big city" this afternoon with a trunk full of cakes and three gallons of icing. Yikes!

I have to say I was really taken with this pie - I too like banana cream pie okay, but not totally. But this was really good, and I should also try it with other berries. I bet raspberries would be fabulous.