Monday, 22 June 2009

Garlic Scape Butter

Garlic scape butter makes a delicious topping to fresh steamed vegetables such as peas or green beans, or use it to sauté vegetables such as zucchini or baby potatoes (parboil them first), or top poached chicken or fish with a little slice as a sauce. Pasta? Rice? Garlic bread? Yes, yes, yes. Great stuff.

1 cup
1 hour - 20 minutes prep time

Garlic Scape Butter with Peas
6 garlic scapes
1/3 cup parsley sprigs
2/3 cup unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
pepper to taste
1 teaspoon rubbed basil (optional)

Rinse the garlic scapes. Wash and drain the parsley well. Put them in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add about two tablespoons of the butter, the salt and pepper (basil if wanted), and blend in well.

Put this mixture in a small skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the garlic scapes are softened and fragrant; about 5 minutes. Remove to a small bowl and let cool completely. In the fridge is fine.

When the mixture is cool, mix in the remaining butter. Keep it chilled.It can be rolled in parchment paper then placed in a zippered freezer bag, and kept frozen if desired.





Last year at this time I made Steamed Sponge Cake with Fruit.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I came across garlic scapes for the first time a week ago and made a pesto out of it! Those things were GOOD.

Ferdzy said...

Aren't they nice? They are so cute too. I bought a huge bagful at the market this week - pesto is also probably coming up soon, along with a few other things.

Kevin said...

Garlic scape butter sounds so good!

raisealittleelle said...

I got Garlic Scrapes in my CSA today and had no idea what they were, took a big bite and now I have breath that could scare away vampires.

I'm so excited to make this though! My husband loves him some Garlic Bread and I can't wait to put it on my veggies!