Thursday, 4 June 2009

Asparagus with Pumpkin Seeds & Lemon Dressing

Pumpkin seeds are one of my favourite things - I remember them from when I was a kid in Mexico. Until recently, they have all been imported and they mostly still are, although there are some at the 100 Mile Market from Grassroots Organics. I've planted some myself this year, although thus far they are all a pair of round green leaves in a cell-pack, and there's many a slip, etc. Still, I hope to have my own in the fall.

In the meantime, purchased ones are very good toasted and sprinkled over cold asparagus for a salad. I really like pumpkin seeds with asparagus; the first recipe I posted on this blog was for Asparagus, Feta & Pumpkin Seed Salad.

2 or 3 servings
20 minutes prep time

Asparagus with Pumpkin Seeds & Lemon Dressing
Make the Dressing:
1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
1/2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
3 tablespoons sunflower seed oil
juice of 1/2 lemon

Put the lemon zest, salt, pepper and paprika into a small jar. Mix in the oil until well blended, then add the lemon juice and stir or shake well.

Make the Salad:
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
450 grams (1 pound) fresh asparagus

Toast the pumpkin seeds in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until they toast and 'pop'. They will turn into a rounder shape with a popping sound, and they may fly about, so be careful. When they are done, turn them out onto a plate to cool.

Clean the asparagus and trim the ends. Steam or boil them until tender, about 5 minutes. Plunge them into cold water to stop them cooking any further. Drain well.

You can leave them whole, or cut them into pieces as you prefer. Marinate them in the dressing for about 15 minutes, then serve with the pumpkin seeds sprinkled over top.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

This makes me realize that I definitely don't include enough seeds and nuts in my meals. I love the crunch, so I really should start doing that.

Hua said...

Hi Ferdzy,

I haven't used pumpkin seeds in my cooking but I'm definitely going to try it! I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network in the Organic & Sustainable community, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

Best,
Hua