Saturday, 9 May 2009

Pasta with Cheddar, Cream & Spring Vegetables

Oh look! Food! No surprise it's pasta; what else do I make when I'm feeling pressed? But I can't believe Presto Pasta Nights, at Family, Friends & Food this week, are going to be hearing from me again so soon. It's the first asparagus of the season, too. Not from my garden; we're only going to harvest about 6 spears of that so I will want to do something particularly fancy with it.

Not that this isn't pretty rich. I always like the combo of fresh green leafy flavours with cheese, and kept it pretty simple with just a touch of oregano and pepper to give them a little punch. I used 5% cream, in a somewhat vain effort to keep it down a bit with the fat, and it worked fine.

2 to 4 servings
20 minutes prep time

Pasta with Cheddar, Cream and Spring Vegetables
150 to 200 grams stubby pasta
12 large asparagus spears
2 to 3 cups finely chopped savoy cabbage
2 to 3 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup finely minced chives
200 grams extra-old Cheddar, grated
a bit of Parmesan cheese, grated as well (optional)
1/2 to 2/3 cup light cream
salt & pepper
1/2 teaspoon finely minced fresh oregano
OR 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

Put a large pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.

Wash, trim and chop the asparagus into inch-long pieces. Finely shred the cabbage, and rinse and drain the spinach. Mince the chives. Grate the cheese.

About 4 minutes before the pasta is done, add the asparagus and cabbage to the pot. When the pasta is done, add the spinach and stir it in well before draining. Drain the pasta and vegetables, and return it to the pot, over low heat. Stir in the chives and the cream. Heat through, stirring constantly, until the cream begins to simmer, then add the grated cheese and the oregano. Season to taste with salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.

Last year, round about now, I made Asparagus with Lemon-Pepper Butter with the first asparagus of the year, Pasta with Greens, Bacon & Cheese - hmmm, a theme develops - and Honey-Mustard Salad Dressing.


Joanne said...

I make pasta when I'm pressed for time as well. It's a never-fail dish and is so versatile. The cheesy greenness of the pasta looks great. My mouth is watering right now...

Ruth Daniels said...

Pasta is a perfect foil for those "Oh my G-D! Is it really 6pm? or "so glad you dropped by unexpectedly - please stay for dinner" etc.,

Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Patsyk said...

Pasta with a cream sauce... OH MY, that does sound good! Pasta is my go-to dish when I am pressed for time as well!

Kevin said...

What a great green Spring pasta!