Friday, 1 May 2009

Gluten-Free Wedding Cake, Take Two; Fabulous Chocolate Frosting

A while back I had a second go at a sample wedding cake for my cousins wedding. I think I'm pretty happy with the actual cake part. I made the same thing as before but didn't let it sit quite so long before eating it this time, and it was definitely nom nom nom. So that's a relief.

The icing and decorating parts are not there yet. I tried a chocolate frosting recipe from Epicurious which looked fabulous. It WAS fabulous, and I'm making a note of the recipe because I will definitely make it again and again. The only problem is I don't think it will be sturdy enough for wedding cake, so I am still looking for a recipe to use there.

Also I am not at all impressed with my ability (or lack thereof) to manipulate marzipan into leaf and flower decorations. Although I do think the rosebuds are quite cute and do-able. I may make a bunch of them for the "back-room" cake from which the majority of the guests will actually be served; that way everyone gets a little decoration but they don't have to be cut (the decorations that is; they are a lot harder to cut than the actual cake.)

Since this photo was taken I found a tin with about 8 little leaf cookie cutters, so I am optimistic that this will allow me to produce better leaves. That just leaves the flowers... back to the drawing board for them. And the icing. Two months. Eeek!

Experimental Wedding Cake
ice! in a large bowl

1 cup sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon rum
2 tablespoons soft unsalted butter

Whisk together the sugar, the cornstarch, a pinch of salt, and the chocolate in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Whisk in the boiling water. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat and boil gently, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.

Whisk in the rum, transfer the mixture to a metal bowl, and with an electric mixer beat in the butter. Set the bowl in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and beat the frosting until it is light and holds soft peaks.

Last year at this time I made Roasted Root Vegetables and Croissant Pudding with Cinnamon Streusel.


nefaeria said...

Oh yum! That cake looks really pretty!

Ferdzy said...

Thanks! I think I'm going to have to make another test cake soon... darn!