Saturday, 23 May 2009

Chocolate Ganache Frosting

Hurrah! This is it - this is what I will be using to frost my cousin's wedding cake in June. I cobbled this together from several other recipes that didn't seem quite right, and at first I didn't think this one was quite right either. I thought it had the usual problem; too soft and goopy for wedding cake. However, there was a little left over from the first batch, and when I saw how it firmed up in the fridge I realized I had a winner. The taste is excellent (well, it would be with that list of ingredients, wouldn't it?) and the texture is good, and if the temperature is right it's very easy to work with. I was also pleased with my new cookie-cutter marzipan leaves, and the rosebuds continue to look fine. Now I just need to figure out how to make a few more elaborate flowers for the main cake, and I've got a plan. Unless I start fiddling with the cake again... I'm still wondering if it's a tad dry.

This is so good, by the way, that I am thinking of making it at Christmas, rolling it into little balls and dipping it in chocolate, and calling the result truffles. I very well may, although I may also throw in just a little more chocolate to the mix to make it firmer.

Enough to cover an 8" round layer cake
25 minutes prep time

Chocolate Ganache Frosting
4 ounces (110 grams) bittersweet chocolate
1 cup 35% (whipping) cream
a pinch of salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon almond, vanilla or other flavouring extract

Break up the chocolate, as much as you can, and put it in the top of a double boiler with the cream. Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is mostly melted. This should not take long.

Remove the pot or bowl from the top of water bath, and let it cool for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Cut up the butter into small pieces and add it, with the icing sugar and flavouring, to the chocolate and cream. Beat the mixture with an electric mixer on high, for 4 or 5 minutes.

Refrigerate for about half an hour, until spreadable; or cover and refrigerate until half an hour before wanted, at which time bring it up to room temperature before frosting the cake. It should be stirred well before spreading. It should keep for about a week in the fridge, well covered.






Last year at this time I made Baked Whitefish with Fennel.

5 comments:

sdrv said...

Wow, it looks amazing!

Stephen

Ferdzy said...

Hey Steve, it's the same one you had last week. Now you have the recipe! ;)

Shasta said...

I'm not a professional baker, but this was very difficult to work with. Once it became spreadable, there was a very short period of time that I had to frost the cake, because it quickly started to melt. The frosting literally melted off the cake once it was brought out side. It was also very airy tasting, but perhaps I had it in the mixer too long. Overall, it was better than premade frosting, but next time I'll look for something else.

Ferdzy said...

Hi Shasta. Thank you very much for letting me know about your experience. It's really helpful.

It is a light, creamy icing, that's for sure.

I'm dismayed to hear it started to melt. Do you know what temperature it was outside? Sounds like I need to make sure it stays in a quite cool spot. (I have to say, I've had no trouble with it melting here...it's been pretty cold though. The end of June may be another story.)

Shasta said...

I live in Bakersfield, CA, and inside the house it was about 82 or so, and I had the fan on to try to cool myself and the cake down. I ended up putting it in the freezer to finish frosting it. Outside it was about 90, maybe close to 95, and it sat on the table for about 15 mins.