Monday, 4 May 2009

Blue Cheese Salad Dressing

It was probably over a year ago that I first picked up a flyer in Zehrs, advertising Rosenborg blue cheese that was now made in Ontario. "Hurray!" I thought, because I've always really liked Danish blue cheese, and I ran around the store hunting for it. Of course I couldn't find it. All their Rosenborg blue cheese was imported from Denmark. I've been keeping an eye out for it ever since, but I only found a package of the Ontario-made stuff a few weeks ago for the first time. It is out there, but you will have to hunt, and maybe ask the dairy manager about it. It tastes pretty much exactly like the Danish stuff, which should be no surprise; it's yer basic mass-produced blue cheese: familiar and tasty but perhaps not very nuanced. Nevermind. I like it, and I'm happy to see it.

It's also starting to become possible to find blue cheeses made by much smaller cheesemakers, so keep an eye out for those too.

It's taken me a while to come up with a really good blue cheese dressing. I wanted it to be rich and cheesy but not too overwhelmingly full of blue cheese - somewhat contradictory desires. I've finally figured out that a little bit of Parmesan allows me to achieve that goal.

Makes about 1 cup
15 minutes prep time - 1 hour rest time

Blue Cheese Salad Dressing2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/3 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
black pepper and salt to taste
2 tablespoons finely minced chives (optional)

Grate the Parmesan and crumble the blue cheese into a small bowl. Mix in the mayonnaise, buttermilk and mustard. You may wish to add a little more buttermilk, if it seems too thick. Season with a good grind of black pepper. I didn't put in any salt; the two cheeses will bring quite a lot, but you may wish to add a tiny sprinkle.

Serve over green salad or as a dip for crudités.

Last year at this time I made Lemon Pudding.


Joanne said...

I have definitely been on a blue cheese kick lately. My family loves blue cheese dressing and I'm always up for making a homemade version of a store-bought favorite!

Culinary Immunity said...

If you are looking for a good mild Ontario blue cheese may I suggest Barely Blue made by the Glengarry Cheese Company (their web site doesn't mention that they have started making their own cheese, but they do) or Highland Blue from the folks at Back 40 in Lanark Highlands.
Barely Blue is, as the name suggests, quite mild.
Highland Blue is a great raw sheep milk blue, with a wonderful saltiness and medium sharp blue flavours.
Alternatively, there is Blue Haze, which is Ermite, made in Quebec by Fromagerie Abbaye Saint-Benoit, but is smoked here in Toronto.

Ferdzy said...

Homemade is always sooo much better, Joanne, isn't it!?

Culinary Immunity, thanks for those suggestions. Those cheeses are from the other end of the province from me, so I didn't really know about them. I'm taking notes!