Monday, 27 April 2009

Blue Cheese & Apple Cole Slaw

One of the great things about pot-lucks is that they are a source of new recipes. This one was brought by Rachel, who got it from her mom, Fran. When she brought it to Meeting I started hounding her for the recipe, and she has graciously passed it on. (Or at least graciously gotten me to stop bugging her!) Thanks, you guys! The combination of sweet apples with the bite of blue cheese, onions and horseradish really appeals to me.

I used the shoots of green oniony stuff from my garden again. Yay!

4 to 6 servings
30 minutes prep time

Blue Cheese and Apple Cole Slaw
Make the Dressing:
3/4 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons prepared horse radish, drained
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Whisk the above together, and set aside.

Make the Salad:
4 cups savoy cabbage, chopped
1 large OR 2 medium tart apples
4 green onions
1/2 c. crumbled blue cheese

Chop the cabbage, fairly finely. Wash and core the apple(s), and mince the green onions. Toss gently and mix in the blue cheese. Scrape the dressing over the salad and toss gently but thoroughly again.

Best if made an hour or two in advance and kept in the fridge, so that the flavours can blend.

Last year at this time I made Peanut Butter Cookies Loaded for Bear.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I don't usually like cole slaw but the apples and blue cheese in this make it stand out. I will definitely be putting this on the summer rotation.