Wednesday, 15 April 2009

5-Spice Parsnips

I can't say I thought these looked gorgeous when I pulled them out of the oven, but the taste was exactly what I hoped for - and that was very good. An excellent side dish for baked chicken or fish. I will definitely make these again.

2 or 3 servings
40 minutes - 10 minutes prep time

5-Spice Parsnips
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large or 3 medium parsnips
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
2 or 3 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon 5-spice powder
1 teaspoon sugar, or a bit more if you like

Put the butter in a medium sized baking dish, and melt it, either on top of the stove, or in the oven if the baking dish can't go on the stove. You will need the oven set at 400°F.

Peel the parsnips, and cut them into thin french-fry shapes. Toss them in the melted butter, then add the orange zest and orange juice. Sprinkle the 5-spice powder over them, and toss gently. Sprinkle them with the sugar. They should be spread out in a thin layer, not more than one or two deep.

Bake the parsnips for about 30 minutes, until soft and browned. Serve hot.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I just recently bought 5-spice powder for a pork dish and loved it! I can imagine how good it tasted in this dish.