Saturday, 14 March 2009

Shepherd's Pie

I'm generally more inclined to make a shepherd's pie with a lot more vegetables than this, but I guess that's my summer or fall shepherd's pie. Since it's late winter, I made something more traditionally Canadian: one with creamed corn in it. I've seen recipes as simple as browned meat, canned corn and mashed potatoes, but it doesn't take too much more to take it up several notches.

You can use beef instead of lamb if you like - that's the more traditional Canadian version - but I'm a snob and think you should call it cottage pie in that case.

4 servings
1 hour 30 minutes - 30 minutes prep time

Shepherds Pie
4 large potatoes (700 grams; 1 1/2 pounds)
2 to 3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
salt & pepper

450 grams ( 1 pound) ground lamb
1 medium onion
1 large carrot
1 teaspoon savory
1 teaspoon dried mint
1 to 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
1 398 ml (14 oz) tin of creamed corn

Wash the potatoes, and cut them into chunks, discarding any nasty bits. Put them in a pot with water to cover and boil them until tender. Drain them, and mash them with the butter and buttermilk, and season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, peel and chop the onion, and peel and dice the carrot. Heat a large skillet and break up the ground lamb into it. Cook until it begins to brown, then season with a bit of salt and add the onion and carrot. Cook, stirring regularly, until the lamb is browned and the onion soft and translucent. Sprinkle with the savory and mint and mix in well.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Put the two corns into the bottom of a large casserole dish (2 1/2 to 3 quarts) and spread the meat mixture over them. When the potatoes are ready, spread them evenly over the top. Dust with paprika, and bake for about 45 minutes to an hour, until lightly browned and bubbling.

Last year at this time I made Carrot Soup with Three Variations and Lemon Sponge Pudding.


Joanne said...

Whatever you want to call it, it looks hearty and delicious. I would probably add some more veggies do, but you make do with what you have on hand is my motto!

tigerfish said...

I would like some sheperd's pie on a cold day. It just warms me up.

ejm said...

Nice idea to use buttermilk in the potatoes!

We make a vegetarian shepherd's pie using dried beans instead of meat. (While I do eat meat, I've never been a fan of ground meat.)

We use dried garbanzo, kidney and black beans for the "meat mixture" but I would think that any dried bean would work. I bet red runner or Romano would be excellent!

Vegetarian shepherd's pie is pretty fabulous and definitely falls into the category of using seasonal food - as long as one still has dried beans left over from last year's harvest.


(Here is our Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie recipe)