Saturday, 28 March 2009

Rainbow Trout with Leek & Mushroom Sauce

Lovely fresh trout! We picked it up at The 100-Mile Market, along with an unexpected bunch of leeks. (The only other time I've been able to get leeks in the spring is out of my own garden.) I had already bought some mushrooms earlier in the week, so it seemed inevitable that they should all meet in a sauce.

I love the combination of lake fish and wild rice - they were made to go together. I also like the combination of barley and wild rice, which is a good thing; barley is an awful lot less expensive than wild rice, and will stretch it out a little further very nicely. Use 1/3 cup barley to 2/3 cup wild rice, three cups of water and a pinch of salt. The barley expands more, so you will end up with a half and half blend.

The cheese seemed like a good idea, but I think next time I would leave it off. It seemed a bit strong for all the other flavours which were really quite delicate. But it certainly wasn't bad.

2 servings
50 minutes - 15 minutes prep time

Baked Rainbow Trout with Leeks and Mushrooms
1 medium leek
16 medium button mushrooms (300 grams, 10 ounces)
2 medium shallots
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fresh minced thyme or savory
1 1/2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
1 cup milk or light cream

2 fillets boneless rainbow trout (450 grams, 1 pound)
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Trim and chop the leek, fairly finely. Clean the mushrooms and slice them. Peel and mince the shallots /

Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the leeks and cook them over medium heat, stirring regularly, until softened. Don't let them brown if you can help it. When they are half-done, add the shallots and mushrooms. Continue cooking until all are soft, about 10 minutes. Season with the salt, pepper and minced herb. Whisk the arrowroot or cornstarch into the milk or cream, and add it to the skillet. Let cook for a minute or two longer, until thickened.

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Put the vegetables and sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish and spread them out evenly. Sprinkle half the cheese over them, if you are using it. Lay the fish fillets on top, and sprinkle the remaining cheese over them.

Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the fish is firm and cooked, and the sauce is hot and bubbling. Serve with wild rice.





Last year at this time I made Herb Roasted Potatoes.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

It was only last year that I discovered that I liked leeks, and I imagine that they would go great with mushrooms! The fish look delicious. I've never had trout, but will have to be on the lookout for them.

Ferdzy said...

Leeks are great! Very under-rated, if you ask me.

Kevin Kossowan said...

I've been obsessing about trout lately. And I'm also a fan of leeks. And mushrooms...but especially trout!