Thursday, 12 March 2009

Pasta with Bacon, Shallots, Shiitakes & Cabbage

It's been a while since there's been any pasta here. Actually, we've been eating tons, but it's nothing that hasn't been seen before. Lots of my canned sauce which has been very handy. Not that this is much different than a number of other things I've done with pasta - it's more a case of noting what's going in it at this time of year. Yeah, cabbage. Surprise! But it goes so well with the other stuff.

I used a bit less than I call for in the recipe as I was also serving a salad, but even so it cooked down a lot and I should have used more.

Anyway, at long last I have a call out to Presto Pasta Nights - at What's Cooking this week. Hi guys!

2 servings
20 minutes prep time

Pasta with Bacon Shallots Shiitakes and Cabbage
200 grams (1/2 pound, scant) dry pasta
200 grams (1/2 pound, scant) bacon
4 large shallots
1 to 1 1/2 cups fresh shiitake mushrooms
4 to 5 cups chopped cabbage
freshly ground black pepper

Put a pot of salted water on to boil for the pasta.

Meanwhile, chop the bacon. Peel and slice the shallots. Remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms and slice the caps. Chop the cabbage.

When the water boils and the pasta goes into it, start cooking the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. When it has rendered some fat, add the sliced shallots and cook them gently for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft and slightly browned. Add the mushrooms and stir for a minute, then add the cabbage. Mix well then add a ladleful of water from the pasta. Continue cooking and stirring until the pasta is done.

Drain the pasta and toss it with the contents of the skillet.





Last year at this time I made Root Slaw - surprisingly fresh and spring-like.

6 comments:

Joanne said...

The addition of cabbage is perfect for St. Patrick's day, which is looming in the near future. And bacon never hurts a pasta dish ;).

Ferdzy said...

Bacon doesn't hurt much, in my opinion!

Ruth Daniels said...

Cabbage is a surprise in pasta, and wonder of wonders, this week's Presto Pasta Night has two cabbage pastas.

Thanks for sharing, glad to see you back here.

Ben said...

I think cabbage goes well with a lot of things! This delicious looking pasta dish is a good example :) Thanks for participating this week in PPN.

tigerfish said...

Cabbage will add the sweetness to this dish. And hey, I had shitakes in my pasta too :D

Ferdzy said...

Hmm, I'm not sure people quite grasp that when I say things like, "Surprise! Cabbage!" what I actually mean is "well OF COURSE it has cabbage." There aren't a lot of other veggies around at this stage in the proceedings.

But yes, there's nothing wrong with that. And I'm glad to back in Presto Pasta Nights.