Tuesday, 31 March 2009

Dad's Maple-Sherry Salad Dressing

Back when I was a teenager my father was interested enough in cooking to keep a notebook of recipe clippings and notes on what he had done right. (The things he did wrong were more-or-less quietly allowed to lapse into oblivion. Pork chops. Canned soup. Slow cooker. That's all I'm saying on that topic.) Of course, in later years I combed through this little book looking for items to put in my own notebook, although by then my "notebook" was an Excel spreadsheet.

This was a salad dressing that he made for a party, hence the rather more luxurious ingredients than go into your average salad dressing. Very nice too.

I served it on a salad of hydroponic lettuce and watercress, carrot, red cabbage and cucumber. (Yes, I picked mine out.) It takes a little looking, but you can put together an all-Ontario green salad even now.

6 to 8 servings
24 hours - 10 minutes prep time

Dads Maple Sherry Salad Dressing
1/4 cup sunflower seed oil
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
2 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 clove garlic, sliced
salt & pepper
1 tablespoon filtered water

Put all the above ingredients into a glass jam jar, and close it. Shake well, and let it sit for 24 hours before using. Remove the garlic at that point, and discard it. Leftover dressing will keep for a week or so in the fridge.

Best with a light salad of mixed greens.





Last year at this time I made Cabbage with Salsa.

1 comment:

Coco Bean said...

oh wow, I am on a maple syrup kick right now so I think I will try this...