Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Chocolate-Chip Peanut-Butter Cookies

My sweetie - who I think I will start referring to as Mr. Ferdzy; lets not belabour the point - made these for a pot luck. He made them rather bigger than I do, and so got less than 60. They also needed to bake for closer to 15 minutes. Also, I tend to flatten mine ever so slightly, although I don't think it makes a huge difference in the baking time. A minute or two, maybe. You'll likely need to fill the tray twice either way, although they don't spread much.

Also, have I ever mentioned that when I call for "peanut butter" I mean the stuff that consists of ground up peanuts and salt? If you are using locally grown and ground peanut butter I'm pretty sure that's about the only kind you are going to find. Which is good, because that's what you want anyway. The stuff that's full of extraneous fats, sugars and stablilizers is just nasty. Avoid it.

60 cookies
45 minutes - 20 minutes prep time

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter COokies
1/3 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sucanat or dark brown sugar
2 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups soft whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips (or raisins or dried cranberries)

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly butter a baking tray, or line it with parchment paper.

Cream the butter and the peanut butter. Work in the sugar. Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.

Mix the baking powder into the flour. Work the flour and chocolate chips into the mixture, until it forms a smooth dough.

Scoop out with a 1" disher or tablespoon and drop onto the prepared tray. Press lightly to flatten; they should be about half an inch thick. Bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned at the edges. Let cool and remove from the tray. Repeat with the remaining dough.

No comments: