Thursday, 26 March 2009

Carrot & Celeriac Slaw

Was I complaining about the price of celeriac? Well I was, and not without reason. On the other hand they can be pretty large. Mine has supplied 3 salads so far and looks good for another 2. Can't complain about that.

Actually, I think this salad could have used a bit more celeriac or a bit less carrot than what I had. I've adjusted the recipe to reflect that. If you can't get Korean red pepper, use cayenne, but use it with caution - it is considerably hotter.

4 servings
1 hour - 15 minutes prep time

Carrot and Celeriac Slaw
Make the Dressing:
3 tablespoons sunflower seed oil
the juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Korean red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt

Whisk or shake together.

Make the Salad:
1 medium-small carrot, peeled and grated
2 cups finely grated peeled celeriac
1 small shallot, peeled and minced
1/2 cup broccoli sprouts, or minced parsley
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Peel and grate the carrot. Peel and grate the celeriac; you should have rather more celeriac than carrot, although twice as much is probably more than you want. Peel and mince the shallot.

Mix the carrot, celeriac, shallot, and broccoli sprouts or minced parsley. Toss with the dressing, and set aside to marinate for 30 to 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, toast the sunflower seeds in a dry skillet until lightly browned. Turn them out at once to cool, and add them to the salad just before it is served.

Last year at this time I made Maple Flan (or Creme Caramel).


Ottawa Gardener said...

Another use for celeriac! At the experimental farm last fall, I noticed that they used to great affect, celariac as a border to their annual bed.

Ferdzy said...

I'm getting fonder and fonder of celeriac. Maybe I'll grow some myself sometime.