Thursday, 19 February 2009

Honey-Garlic Lamb Ribs

If you buy a whole lamb for the freezer (or even a half, I suppose) then once or twice a year you will have a lamb rib feast. For the last few years I have been making Curried Lamb Ribs, but I thought I would try something different this year. As I noted in that recipe, I think the combination of lamb ribs and barbecue sauce is just nasty. However, I decided that a honey-garlic sauce would probably be delicious, which indeed it was. Very simple too, if you leave aside the fact that lamb ribs are always going to be rather time consuming and picky to deal with.

4 servings
Overnight, plus 1 hour prep time plus 3 hours cooking time

Honey-Garlic Lamb Ribs
2 kilos (4 pounds) lamb ribs

4 to 8 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 to 4 pieces star anise
4 to 6 dried red chiles

Put the ribs in a large pot with sufficient water to just cover them. Bring to a boil and simmer them for about an hour. Let them cool, and chill them overnight. In the morning, remove the fat from the top of the broth and ribs. Cut each strip of ribs into sections of either individual ribs or 2 or 3 together. Peel off as much fat still on each section as you can.

Peel and mince the garlic. Mix it with the remaining ingredients. Spread the ribs in a large, shallow pan (ye olde lasagne pan again, the big one) and mix in the sauce. Cover the pan with foil. If you can let the ribs marinate for an hour or two, so much the better.

Preheat the oven to 300°F. Place the covered ribs in the oven and bake for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until very tender. Stir occasionally. The sauce should be mostly absorbed, and the ribs darkened but not burnt. (Duh.)

Last year at this time I made Three Sauerkraut Salads and Rhubarb Meringue Pie.


Brilynn said...

Honey garlic is one of my favourite rib and wing flavours but I've never paired it with lamb.

Ferdzy said...

Well, I have a feeling lamb ribs are hard to find, if you aren't buying an entire lamb.