Friday, 20 February 2009

Almond Pound Cake - Gluten Free Wedding Cake, Take One

My cousin is getting married this summer, and I have offered to make the wedding cake as my present to them. Since the groom is gluten-intolerant, it will need to be a gluten-free cake, one which will still also be sturdy enough to be a wedding cake.

I've made this pound cake quite often - it's a fabulous cake - but this is my first attempt at making it gluten-free. I also made 1 1/3 times the recipe in order to fill an 8" round pan generously. This is likely the size that the wedding cake will be - actually 3 cakes, displayed on a 3-armed cake stand. I note that in fact I'm probably better off making a single recipe twice and then stacking them, in order to get the height that I will need for each cake.

Recently I've been noticing coconut flour in the Bulk Barn's gluten-free section, so this is my first try at baking with it. The flavour is good; a very subtle bit of coconut that goes well with the almond flavour. I'm finding this cake just the slightest bit dry, but I think that's because I let it sit for 3 days before I iced it and cut it. Hmm, I'll have to try it again...

Note: I have tried again, and here's the final and better version.

8 servings
1 hour - 15 minutes prep time

Gluten-Free Almond Pound Cake
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 extra-large eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 tablespoons water
1 cup soft unbleached flour
OR 1/2 cup rice flour and 1/2 cup coconut flour
1 cup finely ground blanched almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a standard loaf pan or an 8" x 8" baking pan.

Cream the butter with the sugar and salt. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the almond extract and the water.

Measure the flour(s), ground nuts and baking powder and mix them together. Mix this into the wet ingredients in two equal batches.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth it out. It will be fairly stiff. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.


Joanne said...

If you need any help with ingredients, Karina's Kitchen has tons of great gluten free cake recipes! Although yours looks pretty darn good.

Ferdzy said...

Thanks, I'll have a look. My cousin has said she would like the almond pound cake though, so I will probably try a couple slightly different versions to see if I can get it any better... although really, I think I just can't let it sit there for 3 days...