Tuesday, 13 January 2009

Sweet Potato Waffles

I've had this recipe for a long time, but this is the first time I tried them. I was afraid they hadn't worked out well when I looked at them - they were rather thin and floppy, for waffles - but they tasted excellent.

The recipe came from The Canadian Woman's Cookbook, originally published sometime in the 1920's although my copy dates from the late 1930's. Their idea was that these were to be served as a vegetable/starch side dish, and you could, certainly; although I thought they were just fine for breakfast. They would be a good way to use up an extra sweet potato baked accidentally on purpose for dinner the night before. My sweet potato was a bit more than a cup when mashed, and I put it all in. In retrospect, I should have measured more carefully. I enjoyed them though!

If you haven't got a waffle maker, I would think the batter would make good pancakes.

4 large waffles (12 small)
45 minutes - 10 minutes prep time; not including time to bake the sweet potatoes

Sweet Potato Waffles
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon sugar
1 extra-large egg yolk
1 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 extra-large egg white, beaten stiff

Cream the butter and sugar, and beat in the egg yolk and the cooked mashed sweet potato.

Mix the baking powder and salt into the flour. Mix the flour alternately into the sweet potato mixture with the milk.

Beat the egg white until it is stiff, then fold it into the batter.

Cook the waffles in yer handy-dandy waffle maker, according to manufacturer's instructions. Generally, it should be heated up then brushed lightly with oil between each waffle. Check for doneness when the amount of steam coming out of the waffle iron lessens. Keep finished waffles warm in the oven.




Last year at this time I made Rutabaga with Peas & Mushrooms and Oven Barbecued Onions.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

These waffles make me wish I had a waffle maker! I think that may need to be my next culinary investment...