Thursday, 8 January 2009

News Update


Had a dream this morning about repairing drywall in an apartment. It started with me going around with a gicky tub of drywall putty (which someone had gotten some tar into) and a putty knife (the wrong size, and broken) and fixing little holes in the wall of a very grubby apartment. In spite of the fact that I was working on fixing the place, there already seemed to be a number of tenants littering the place. As I worked (between being interrupted by tenants) I discovered that the drywall was in worse and worse condition, until finally, it ended three-quarters up the wall in ragged, crenellated line, and what was there was as punky as cardboard. Being a dream, it never occurred to me that I could rip it all out and start again. One of the tenants came by and offered to fix it for $2000.00. "Are you nuts?!?" I shrieked, and woke up.

Ahh, good old stress dreams. How I love 'em.

In real life, we went round last weekend to collect rent from the last tenant to collect rent from, and couldn't find them. I phoned them and they said, "Oh, yes. We moved out."


How about that.

Of course, their last act before moving out was to paint the living room dark brown and the kitchen scarlet.

So, instead of having a relatively peaceful month, we are going to be spending it painting. Again. Which is where I am at the moment, if anyone is wondering.

The good, the exciting, the terrifying news is that this is the last month we will have to do this. We have sold the apartment building. We're retiring! I hope this means I will have more time to do all kinds of things: gardening, hiking, this blog... we'll see!


Stella said...

Wow, congrats!!

Amber said...

Sorry to hear about your tenant frustrations but congrats on selling the place and starting a whole new journey!

Ferdzy said...

Thanks, guys. I THINK I'm very excited, in between running around like a maniac trying to deal with things now. Maybe once it happens it will sink in that it's real...

Money Funk said...

Wow, congratulations on the retirement!

I have to say that you were fortunate with you tenant. A friend of ours just found out his 'moved out' tenants were growing a lot of marijuana in the house and when they left... they took the toilets, the marble countertops, etc...but left there paraphernalia behind!

Sometimes I really don't understand people. lol!

Happy retirement. I look forward to more of your recipes. :-)

Ferdzy said...

Yeah, grow-ops and meth labs are a landlords worst nightmare. They actually will destroy the building. I'm happy to say *knock, knock* that we've managed to escape that.

These folks were just broke, and young and inexperienced. A little communication would have improved the situation but it's not the end of the world.

Dunno if there are going to be more recipes... we can only eat so much. ;) Thnaks for the good wishes.