Thursday, 22 January 2009

Lemon-Apricot Carrots

As I've remarked before, we don't tend to eat a lot of cooked carrots by themselves, as a side dish, even though we often go through an average of a carrot a day in this household. They are more likely to go into salads or be unobtrusively blended into soups, stews and casseroles. However, there wasn't much in the way of vegetables in the fridge when I got back, so carrots it had to be.

The good news is that these were really tasty - I'll do them again, even when I have a choice of other veggies.

3 to 4 servings
15 minutes - 5 minutes prep time

Lemon-Apricot Carrots
3 medium-large carrots
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
the zest of 1/3 of a lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons apricot jam

Peel the carrots, and slice them. Actually, I think I might cut them in julienne next time. Put them in a small pot with the water, butter and lemon zest.

Cover them, and cook them for about 5 minutes. Remove the lid, and continue cooking them until the water has pretty much evaporated. Give them a stir once in a while.

Add the lemon juice and apricot jam, and continue cooking for a minute or two longer, until the sauce is thickened.




Last year at this time I made Chicken with Leeks & Barley - An Anglo-Saxon Recipe, and Carrot Pudding.

No comments: