Tuesday, 6 January 2009

Cream of Rutabaga Soup

A small amount of carrot will add a little bit of colour; otherwise the soup will be rather pale. (I didn't add any this time.) This is another one where my sweetie said, "Pretty good, for rutabaga." Sheesh. Rutabaga is dee-licious stuff so of course it makes dee-licious soup.

6 to 8 servings
50 minutes - 20 minutes prep time

Cream of Rutabaga Soup
1 medium rutabaga, about .8 to 1 kilo (2 pounds)
1 small carrot (optional)
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons soft unbleached flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black peppercorns
2 cups milk
grated nutmeg

Peel the rutabaga, and cut it into thin slices. Put them in a large pot with enough water just to cover them, and the bay leaves. Add a few slices of peeled carrot, if you like. Bring to a boil, and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the butter, flour, salt and pepper together in another pot until well amalgamated. Lower the heat, and add the milk, a little at a time and stirring constantly to prevent it from forming lumps. Once the mixture is thick, set it aside until the rutabaga is done.

When the rutabaga is done, put the white sauce into a blender or food processor with the pieces of rutabaga, which should be lifted out of the cooking water with a slotted spoon. Purée the rutabaga and white sauce until very smooth.

Put the soup back into a pot - how about the one that the white sauce was in. Put three cups of the cooking water from the rutabaga into the food processor, and whizz it around to clean the sides. Pour this water into the soup, and stir well until smooth. Grate a little nutmeg over the soup, and mix it in.

Reheat the soup just before serving. Serve garnished with parsley, chives or a little more grated nutmeg.




Last year at this time I made Baked Bean Style Bean Soup.

3 comments:

Marnie said...

This looks pretty good -- must try it! (Did your sweetie supply that spelling in the first line of your recipe?)

You and I have several of the same dishes. It's kind of fun seeing them featured in your blog.

Ferdzy said...

LOL, no; that's called posting as I'm running out the door with no editting. I've fixed it now.

Several, eh? I'm assuming that flowered bowl is one of them. What are the others? (I'm a china junkie.)

Marnie said...

Actually I've got this design as a luncheon plate (my favourite), and the platter under the whitefish and the ribs I have as a small plate too. There may be others but that's all I remember for now. (All my dishes are different, but all blue and white.)