Tuesday, 23 December 2008

Vegetarian Lentil Tourtiere

I've been working on a vegetarian version of tourtiere for a couple of years now. I'm not sure I've got it perfected, but it's not bad, and if anyone has any ideas for making it better, I'd love to hear them.

Use whatever pastry you like, or prepared frozen pastry even. I used a sturdy pastry designed for meat pies, which was delicious, but which contains eggs. I'm not posting it here because it also smoked like heck while it was being baked. Maybe once I get that little problem fixed.

6 to 8 servings
2 hours - 1 hour prep time

Vegetarian Lentil Tourtiere
pastry for a double crusted pie

1/2 cup brown or green lentils
2 small bay leaves
1 medium potato
1 medium onion
1 to 3 cloves of garlic
1 small stalk of celery
150 grams (1/3 pound) soft tofu
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1/3 cup quick-cook rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 1/2 teaspoons savory
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup tomato ketchup or tomato paste, thinned a little

Cook the lentils with the bay leaves and the potato, scrubbed and cut into 1 cm dice. I used 1 1/4 cups of water and a pinch of salt, and cooked them all together in my rice cooker.

Meanwhile, make your pastry and set it aside to rest.

Peel and chop the onion and garlic, and chop the celery and mushrooms. Chop the tofu finely. Mix the spices and set them aside.

Sauté the tofu in 1 tablespoon of oil until the pieces are brown and crisped at the edges. Add the remaining oil and the onion, garlic, celery and chopped mushrooms and continue sautéing. When they are soft , add the spices, and mix in well. Add the oatmeal, and cook for a few minutes more, stirring well, until the oatmeal is lightly toasted.

Remove the pan from the stove, and mix in the lentils and potato. (Discard the bay leaves.) Mix in the tomato paste or ketchup.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Roll out the pastry, and line a 9" pie plate. Place the filling in the crust, and top it with the remaining pastry.

Bake the tourtiere for about 1 hour, until the crust is golden brown.

Last year at this time I made Sautéed Parsnips and Roasted Butternut Squash & Shallots.


Green Grrl said...

Made this last week and it was delicious. Was extra yummy with my homemade ketchup. :-)

vegyear said...

I'm glad to have found your blog! I also blog about local food, and also recently posted a vegetarian tourtiere recipe. I've never had the real thing, and was working from someone's recollection of my husband's grandmother's recipe. It's been very popular at a couple of potlucks we've brought it to. You can see it at http://vegyear.wordpress.com/2009/01/25/vegetarian-tourtiere/

angelune said...

I just made this and adjusted the spices so that it was more like my mom's recipe, it was delicious! thanks!

1 teaspoon all-spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
2 teaspoons savory
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves