Tuesday, 30 December 2008

Louise's Emergency Salsa Dip

This was devised by my cousin Louise once when she was faced with unexpected company and needed to come up with something to nosh on pronto, and it was so well received that she worked it into an official recipe. I can report it was very well received here too; I was quite amazed at how quickly it vanished. Light versions of the cream cheese and mayonnaise are not only acceptable; I recommend them. Even so, it's very rich.

About 4 cups of dip
Serves 8 vultures or 20 grazers

Louise's Emergency Salsa Dip
250 grams cream cheese (light is fine)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
1 to 1 1/2 cups prepared salsa
1/2 to 1 cup grated extra-old cheddar cheese

Soften the cream cheese in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes, until soft enough to work with a spoon. Mix in the mayonnaise. When thoroughly blended, mix in the salsa. Heat again, until the mixture is quite warm.

Sprinkle the cheese over the top, and set the dip under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Serve at once, while still hot, with chips or crackers.

Last year at this time I made Rutabaga with Caramelized Onions.

1 comment:

PrudentHomemaker said...

I love the serving size description :)

My mother used to do this, sans cheese. I came home from church one day with my roommates in college and started eating this. The other roommates all came over--what is that? That looks good! I'm making that! And pretty soon, al 6 of us were eating it!