Monday, 1 December 2008

German Style Red Cabbage & Apples

I know I've said this before, but I think I'm back! Not only I have we been away quite a bit in the last week; when we were here our phone and internet have not been working. However, it seems they are now functioning again.

This dish can be made in advance and heated up as required. Fabulous colour, eh? It's great with roast meats of any kind.

8 servings
1 hour 30 minutes - 30 minutes prep time

German Style Red Cabbage and Apples
450 grams (1 pound) red cabbage
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

3 or 4 large apples
1 medium onion
2 or 3 tablespoons bacon fat (or oil if you must)
1-2 bay leaves
2 cups water
2 tablespoons red currant jelly (optional)
a splash of wine (optional)

Shred the cabbage, discarding any damaged leaves or tough stems, and put it aside in a bowl. Toss it with the vinegar, sugar and salt.

Peel and slice the apples, and peel and dice the onion. Sauté them in the bacon fat in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. When they are softened but not really browned, add the cabbage mixture, the bay leaves and the water. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for about an hour. Stir occasionally.

If it seems too liquidy, you may wish to remove the lid and let some of the liquid cook off. The finished cabbage should be moist, but not swimming, and fairly soft - this is not one of your modern al dente vegetable dishes. Classic served with roast pork, beef or chicken.




Last year at this time, I made Honey, Lemon & Ginger Tea for the Flu - very happy not to have that this year, knock wood. Also, I made Chicken-Barley Soup as another flu-cure. Although I will cheerfully consume large amounts of both items when I am well too. More cheerfully even.

No comments: