Friday, 5 December 2008

Cabbage, Apple & Walnut Salad

Like my new bowl? My sweetie had a birthday last week, so we went down and celebrated by having Dim Sum with his family in Toronto. And since we were not that far from the Pacific Mall (and therefore Utsuwa-No-Yakata) and since I needed some little something to help me get over the shock of finding myself living with a fifty year old, I got a present.

Anyway, what's in it is a simple salad of cabbage, apples and walnuts. I sometimes forget that I should still eat salads in the winter, and go too long without something raw and crunchy. This has lots of lovely crunch.

4 servings
20 minutes prep time

Cabbage Apple and Walnut Salad
4 cups finely chopped savoy cabbage
2 medium apples
1/2 to 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup mayonnaise (light is fine)
1/2 cup buttermilk or yogurt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
salt & pepper to taste

Chop the cabbage. Wash the apples, but don't peel them. Core them and chop them and mix them with the cabbage. Add the nuts.

Put the mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, salt and pepper into the bowl with the salad. Mix well, until the mayonnoise and buttermilk are blended and evenly distributed throughout the salad.


Marcy said...

I think the bowl is gorgeous. I don't know how old you are but my husband's 60th birthday this year seemed much more disconcerting than my own!

Ferdzy said...

I'm 47 - still just a young pup, ha ha. Oh yeah, 60. I feel like my parents just turned 60, but huh. Not *that* far away. Shocking, isn't it?